Imac or new rMBP?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lamarak, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Waited on getting an Imac till I saw the new macbook pros. Ill be using it for my itunes library, some gaming and like new games. Understand they arnt the best gaming machines but like the OS.

So now deciding between maxed out Imac or maxed out 15 retina pro. Guess my question is how much better is the graphic card in the Imac vesus the new MBP?

Thanks for any info. Guess im thinking of the Imac and maybe a used air or even the new ipad air for school. Or think better just getting a maxed out 15 to serve both purposes.?

2. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

If you need portability, get the rMBP - it will cost significantly more. In terms of spec, the iMac is much better value - you get a better machine for a smaller price, but it's obviously not very portable.

If you want to game, I'd recommend getting bootcamp so you can run Windows - the gaming library there is much more plentiful than it is on OS X.

3. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

The 780M is a fair bit more powerful than a 750M, especially with the optional 4GB of vRAM you can get with the iMac.

What is really comes down to is the types of games you're going to play, at what resolution, etc.

While the 780M is measurably faster, the 750M is still quite capable and might still be more than enough. Can you provide any more details?

As Aaron mentioned, you'll want to run a Bootcamp partition either way and ensure you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, but either system should be good for the majority of games. You may not be able to run BF4 in 1440p on ULTRA (rMBP) but that's a stretch anyways and not what the machine was built for in the first place.

If portability is a concern at all you need to consider that.

TL;DR: 780M is much faster than 750M, but 750M might be plenty powerful for what you use. Give us more details.

4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

FWIW, it seems that the 750M appears to be just an overclocked 650M.

5. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I think so...