iMac or noMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eladnova, Aug 29, 2013.

?

iMac or noMac

1. I'm holding out for a refresh ...

87.0%
  2. Taking too long. Might spend money elsewhere ...

13.0%
  1. eladnova macrumors member

C'mon Apple. Just release the new iMac already!!

Hard earned cash is saved and sitting in my account but the longer I have to wait, the more I'm thinking of buying a lovely Gibson guitar instead.

Anyone in the same boat? IE holding off for a 2013 spec update but thinking "...or I *could* spend the money on X instead"...

I already have a lovely Macbook Pro which actually suits me beautifully so this could really swing either way.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense if you have a MBP that suits you beautifully, why even get an iMac?

Since you already have a MBP, why not wait - there is no urgent need it seems

3. eladnova thread starter macrumors member

LOL I knew that question would come up and it's a fair point. No offense taken.

Amongst other reasons...
    Am turning X age soon and want to treat myself.
    Have always wanted am iMac
    MBP is hooked up to an external 24" Dell monitor and I find myself window shuffling with the 8 or so creative apps I work on professionally for about 10 hours a day
    Along with the monitor, speakers, USB hub etc etc there are several wires, power supplies, a min display port adapter, USB keyboard etc etc

4. Serban Suspended

I think apple just waiting for 10th september for release, another reason for delay not sure there is, all the components for the refresh are released PCIe/wifi ac/780M/Ram etc

5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Well, it's obvious that you don't need either the iMac or the Gibson. But, if you want to spend the money, then there's a better chance of a decent Gibson retaining its value (and increasing in the long term) than the iMac. And if you want to celebrate a certain age, then do it with something that's less transient than a computer.

6. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Are you joking? The latest iMac hasn't been out for a year...it hasn't even been a year since it was announced...

And I wouldn't count on a spec-bump for a while since it may deter people from looking at the Mac Pro, but I'm not the expert at release dates.

7. Bear macrumors G3

That iMac update was months later than it should have been.

Why no spec bump? Any spec bump will be minor. Just going to Haswell at the same GHz will be a slight performance improvement.

And if a spec bump on the iMac really deters people from looking at the Mac Pro, then those people probably would not have bought the Mac Pro anyway.

8. gmbaker44 macrumors newbie

Im waiting for refresh

I'm new to the forum. I'm definitely waiting on the iMac. I know the changes will be minimal but there really isn't a reason I can't wait for it.

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Treating yourself is fine. When I bought my iMac last year, it was a Christmas present... to myself. I saved up all year so that I could afford a big nice fat Christmas present to my own ego. :)

But will it kill you if you'd have to wait maybe a couple more months before you can "open your present"?

If you've always wanted an iMac, and you decide to give up on it now and spend the money on something else.... then when the NEW iMac does come out (possibly later this year), then you will end up with a nice steaming cup of REGRET. And then you realize that you spent your money (on something else), and then the iMac You Always Wanted is no longer within your means. That's going to be a heavy feeling of regret there.

Patience really is a virtue.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Actually I think you are bang on the money. I'm not even sure they will update the iMac this year.

11. gmbaker44 macrumors newbie

Don't you think it will be at least a silent update. Haswell, 700 Series GPUs, New Wifi Card. Small things like that. That won't take away from the Mac Pro market. They definitely aren't doing anything major like retina displays.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. Only Apple know for sure.

13. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Nope and I don't think many are in your situation either. An iMac or a Guitar, Seriously??? When you said iMac or no Mac I thought you meant possibly a Windows equivalent. You just sound like you have deep pockets and are looking for something to burn it on. ;)

Since it's not a need but rather a want just wait till September 10th. If nothing on Sept 10th in terms of an iMac showing up then go and get your "Guitar" but that makes no sense. Just sayin'.

14. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I am waiting I have not choice.

My vacation leave is approved, but I won't be travelling abroad until later this year. The money is already saved. I am slowly moving away from a Windows environment at home. So I am really looking forward to it.

I definitely would wait. If it does not show up my early December, I will settle for the Haswell MacBook Pro Retina or Conventional MacBook Pro if Apple updates it and skip the iPad.

My plan is to buy the following:
    - iMac 27 inch
    - iPhone 5S
    - iPad 5

15. malvicus macrumors member

ha, I hit no but I'm not looking elsewhere. I'd still get the 2012 model refurbished.

16. sinphase macrumors newbie

I'm waiting til Sept. 10 and no later because school for me starts the next day. But I'll probably go with a refurb model, anyone know if older refurbs have gone down in price after new models have been released?

17. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

iMac is not an investment...it's a tool for your job.....I think you should buy your lovely Gibson guitar....:cool:

18. bobtennis macrumors member

...Funny, but I'm getting tired waiting for the new Gibson Guitar models to come out...I may just have to take the money and buy an iMac! :D

19. Bear macrumors G3

They sometimes go down in price shortly before the new models are announced and sometimes it's shortly after. I wouldn't expect Apple to announce Mac updates at an iOS (may be iPhone only) announcement.

Also if you need the iMac for the start of school, I'd suggest you go an order a refurbished right away so it ships to you in time for school.

20. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

I have a 2010 iMac and have been thinking about either getting a new iMac or going MBP instead. I am waiting to see how much of an upgrade the new ones will represent.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Gibson might attract more cute females...

Seriously, there's not going to be a huge change in the next iMac. Haswell is more for laptops than desktops.

22. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Go and spend the equivalent iMac money on an Apple gift card, then you have the money spent and out of the way. Then you can just go and pick up the new iMac when they are out.

23. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The iMac is updated every year. This year won't be any exception. Especially since it's already been redesigned, which is the tough part. The only thing Apple has to do is update internally for the next 2-3 years, annually.

The same thing was being said on these forums last year, but the fact is, Apple has never gone through an entire year without an iMac update. It's coming. If it were my guess, an October announcement seems likely.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Thanks for pointing that out. How many days in a year?

Attached Files:

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but if you'd like me to rephrase it more technically, then the iMac is updated every calender year.

By the way, you need to charge that iPhone ;)