iMac or not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IwantImac, May 6, 2011.

1. IwantImac macrumors newbie

Hello,

Soon, I will hopefully buy my first iMac. It's going to be the 21,5 inch based model. But reading the posts here on the forums makes me hesitate. Most of the threads are just about problems with the iMac. So I wanted to know what you really think of the iMac.

Remember: I'm not going to do extraordinary things with it: replacing hard drives, adding more RAM, or driving the software to it's limit, etc.

To do so I want you to give a score out of 1 to 10.

Please help out.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If it is your first, then buy either the base 21.5" or ultimate 27". From what I have been reading here, those two are the best so far since the base model of the 21.5" is such a large upgrade from any of the previous models. Since you aren't going to do anything crazy like many of us, you'll be pleasantly surprised with an iMac.

3. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to buy my second. If the 'je ne sais quoi' of the iMac has got you interested, you'll probably love it.

I think they're great. As for a score...? I'll give it a 9. In terms of how it meets my needs.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nice ID there OP .. IwantItToo :p

Do you game a lot? If you don´t, you better get off with base 21.5¨ or base 27¨ for screen estate

Truly, gaming is an expensive hobby. Be thankful if you hate video games, since you won´t care about how many FPS you can get from your screen

My score? No doubt 11 .. oops i mean 10

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I agree with you too. Gaming is pretty good if you run bootcamp. But, I would still suggest base 21.5" or go all out with the maxed 27"! :)

6. stellardream macrumors member

10! (coz I am a fanboy :):))

That's normal that you mostly see people posting about their problems or they want to bitch about something. You know, it's kinda like this: sunny weather and nice breeze don't make a headline :)

The idea behind iMac is that you just take it out of the box, plug it in and within a couple of mins, you're on the internet and doing your own thing. There are people who want to push hardware and software to their limit, but again, that's actually minority among iMac users.

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I have a 3 years 21" and I still give it a 8/10.
    So a 2011 Sandy bridge at the same price point? Hell, yeah!

8. IwantImac thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear that :)

I only do online gaming, btw.

9. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Sorry... do you mean that this machine will be specifically for gaming?

10. IwantImac thread starter macrumors newbie

No not at all. It's bassicly to try out and see what apple can offer.

Besides that i will do some small gaming, but this can't be considered as an issue.

11. shenfrey, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

shenfrey macrumors 68000

I think buying an Imac will be one of the best purchases you could ever make. Certainly one that will never forget, once you go mac you will never go back.

10/10

12. 50548 Guest

Undoubtedly 10, it's the best desktop on Earth today.

And despite all this BS that Winblows fanboys love to spread around here, I am yet to see a PC beating my 2008 iMac in terms of overall performance, UI responsiveness and REAL multitasking capabilities (not the crap that Windows represents).

NONE of my friends and relatives (all of them NORMAL users) has a better-performing machine - so please be careful when reading posts from hobbyists about "building your machine" and the like. No ordinary customer does that or wants to do that.

- The iMac has the BEST screen in the industry;
    - The BEST OS in the industry, with the option to run inferior Windows if you want to suffer;
    - The BEST AIO design, and none of the bulkiness common to the ugly Windows world;
    - The BEST keyboard;
    - The BEST standard, multitouch mouse (magic mouse) - just genius;
    - Even for an older machine like mine, EXCELLENT overall performance;
    - Multitasking responsiveness that is miles ahead of Windows machines (remembering my pathetic PC at work);
    - Almost totally silent;
    - The best customer service in the world.

Windows PCs nowadays are just for three types of people:

1 - Hardcore gamers who love to brag about irrelevant specs or one extra FPS;
    2 - People like the above who need to change their GPU every month or like to tinker with their boxes;
    3 - Masochists.

Just buy your iMac and be happy - you're not gonna regret it.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Soon enough, the OP will have to submit a change to his name to ihaveimac

14. shenfrey macrumors 68000

lol thats the first thing I thought when I saw the thread and his name I was like 'hmm, whats he gonna do when he gets an imac, make another account?" lol

15. sanity macrumors member

I'd give it a 9. The only knock against it being the ability to get in and mod it easily. I come from the PC world where I built my own machines and constantly tweaked and upgraded them over time. I've had my current iMac for 4 years and just ordered another of the new ones. They are incredibly powerful for an all-in-one and it just works. As it turns out I didn't really need to do much modding except for RAM, which is easy. I've had absolutely no problems with my current iMac. Wife is getting that one and my 7 yr old is getting her MacMini.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

People come to forums such as this for help and to complain. Rare is it that someone logs on to post "My iMac works perfectly and I am 100% satisfied."

But for me, that is exactly the case. My iMac is perfect and I am 100% satisfied with it. It was, other than my iPhone 4, my first Apple product, and as you can see from my sig I have bought a whole lot more. In fact I will be getting a second iMac to replace the last Windows XP machine in my home so that we can now be windows free. Other than my 3 laptops provided to me for my job. Yuck! :p

If you go Apple, you'll never go back. :apple:

iMac = 10
    iPhone4 = 10
    MBA = 10
    iPad2 = 8 (Light bleed)

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Well we'll know who it will be when another user with that name shows up. :p

18. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Not exactly an even-handed account...

... there are reasons to favour PCs. PCs are cheaper - considerably so, away from the all-in-one domain. They have inferior screens, sure, but decent screens can be bought. And there are still some things that Windows can do that, regrettably, OS X can't. And if you buy a Mac with a view to installing Windows, be ready to shell-out for an expensive second OS.

Also, the Magic Mouse is abject *****, in my opinion. I gave mine away.

Finally, much as I think you'd enjoy owning an iMac, I'd like to say this - it's just a computer. It won't reduce your likelihood of getting cancer, or take your dog for a walk when it's raining, or get you back with your ex-girlfriend. It's a lovely computer - no doubt about that - but it's just a computer.