iMac or PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hotrats, Jan 25, 2012.

1. hotrats macrumors newbie

Hello, i recently purchased a 27" iMac and everything has been going pretty well. But i have been trying to game on it and im finding the 6770m is barely cutting it at 2560 x 1440. So, what im asking is - should i return my iMac to Apple, and buy a Dell u2711 display and gaming PC. Or keep the iMac and hope for some sort of external GPU in the future.

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for an external GPU in the near future.

Some companies have shown samples, but pricing and street date haven't been announced as far as I know.

If gaming is your thing, you probably want to look to a higher spec computer. I've heard that the 6970 is faster (this GPU appears in the $1999 iMac model).

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

An iMac for a Dell is never good swap. You may aswell swap the iMac for a potato.

Seriously though, I don't game on my iMac. I've got the old call of duty: modern warfare and it plays it no problem. I have the bottom line 21.5 inch 2010 imac.

4. hotrats thread starter macrumors newbie

So the Thunderbolt GPU is pretty much a pipe-dream. The high end 27" iMac is a little out of my price range, so my choices are kind of limited.

----------

Don't get me wrong, the 6770m is no slouch and plays F.E.A.R at max settings without a problem. And i have no problem with turning down the settings for modern games like Skyrim, The Witcher 2 and portal 2. But im a little scared with the release of the new consoles - the 6770m will fall flat on its face for new games. The other problem is Apple has pretty much killed target display mode with the Thunderbolt iMac, so no building a budget gaming PC down the path and using the iMac as a monitor.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Right now - yes. Late this year or early 2013? We could see some GPUs out by then.

CES this year had quite a bit of Thunderbolt talk, so later this year is bound to see a bunch of new products.