Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
Hi, I now have the money for my new mac, but i am still unsure what mac to get. I need a mac that will last me for around three years that will cope well with applications such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Director and possibly Final Cut and other related editing software. Also games like UT2004, COD and Command and Conquer Generals.

At the moment I am leaning towards the iMac because i feel i am getting more for my money with every thing built in etc. But the PowerMac seems as if it may last a bit longer, i.e. with gfx card changes, RAM etc.. I have a 17" TFT so i wouldn't have to much trouble.

If i got the iMac i would buy it with it's maxed specifications at the moment. If i got the PowerMac i would buy it at it's equivalent price and specifications i.e. Dual 2GHz, gig of ram etc.

I would wait for the new Mactels, but i need a Mac for me to use when i go to university in september. Or should i wait untill Apple Expo? to see if there is any new products or updates?

Well thnx guys, please reply asap i want to be able to purchase it some this week or so.

Patch^_^

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
Since you've got the display, I would go with the far more powerful Dual 2.0 that you mentioned. As you know, it's far more upgradeable; plus, if you are into gaming, you'll appreciate being able to put a better GPU in there.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I agree. Get the Power Mac. You will have much better gaming and video compression times. Plus it will be way fast all the time, especially with multi tasking etc.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
hmmm..this has made my decsion a tad harder lol. I wonder if the UK store will drop the 1.8 single and just have ther dual range, like in the U.S. store. So it lowers the prices etc.

I guess im guna have to think about it a bit more. Thnx for your thoughts guys :)

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Get the powermac, but wait till an update - the last update wasn't that great and came after a long wait, so chances are that there's a good update coming soon. Especially now IBM has announced the Dual Core chips...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Patch^ said:
hmmm..this has made my decision a tad harder lol. I wonder if the UK store will drop the 1.8 single and just have there dual range, like in the U.S. store. So it lowers the prices etc.

I guess im guna have to think about it a bit more. Thnx for your thoughts guys :)

Now I'm confused, thought that you were interested in the dual 2.0. It has the better specifications also. The timing will depend on how soon you really need your Mac. If you can wait until September, it could be worth the wait. With Apple there is just no way of knowing when and if there will be an update.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I would go with the power mac g5 (it will last longer), here's one thing to remember: Do NOT rely on macs for games, it's been said before a hundred times...If you wanna play games, get a pc (ouch, that hurts)...If you wanna do something productive, get a mac...(MAN, that's the quote of the month!)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Go for the PowerMac G5. I love mine. Sooo very fast and stable. :D
Life is just great now that I no longer have to put up w/ windblows xpee!

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
wdlove said:
Now I'm confused, thought that you were interested in the dual 2.0. It has the better specifications also. The timing will depend on how soon you really need your Mac. If you can wait until September, it could be worth the wait. With Apple there is just no way of knowing when and if there will be an update.

I am interested in it, but at the time i was going to buy the iMac. Now I'm going to have to think a bit more cuz all you guys recommend the powermac.

thnx for the input guys.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
ok i think I'm going to go with the Powermac. I might order it next week or so.
Just a few questions

Is there a cable or adapter provided with the powermac i.e. for VGA>DVi cuz the the monitor i have is VGA.

Also how easy is it to send files over firewire or to do that setup assiant thing. cuz i would like to send my documents and stuff from my powerbook.

Finally can i install any USB 2.0 PCI card? Could you recommend me one that works with the PowerMac

Plus do you think i should wait for the Apple Expo.. or wait to see if theres an update? Cuz when i bought my powerbook about 2-3months later it was updated lol. But then again things are always being updated.

Thanks for your help guys! :D

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
My G5 came with a DVI to VGA connector.

I didn't use the Migration Assistant when i got my G5 as the 2 machines weren't close enough to do this. I moved stuff on a FW drive. I expect the Migration Assistant to be straightforward. You can always one of your machines up in target mode an transfer the files manually if you don't want to use the Migration Assistant.

I have a PCI 4 port usb2 card in my G5, i got it from Currys or Dixons. Older PCI cards wont fit they were a different voltage.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
Ok Guys, I know I said I was going to order a powermac last week or something, but I need some help deciding between 3 different specifications before I order.

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512MB
• 400GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• 16x SuperDrive Dual Layer (DVD±R/CD-RW)
• ATI Radeon 9650 - 256MB DDR SDRAM
• 56k V.92 internal modem
• Bluetooth Module
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,558.44

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• ATI Radeon X850 XT - 256MB DDR SDRAM
• Bluetooth Module
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,658.71

• Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5
• Bluetooth Module
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,705.64 (Probably Max Spending Limit)

Please help me decide! I'm going to order it on tuesday or wednesday, fo sure!

*note - I get Educational Discount* :)

Thnx :)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Door #3 even if you have to cut back on the optional RAM to get you started.

The 2.3 dual G5 uses the PRO 8 RAM slot motherboard with PCI-X expansion slots.

The newer 2005 "Rev C" 2.0 G5's are now using the old 1.8 dual pro-sumer motherboard and only offers standard PCI expansion slots.

If you can't afford the New 2.3 dually, then try to find a New in Box 2004 Rev B 2.0 at a reseller for about $1079£ or watch for a refurb at the Apple Store Red Tag Sales for even more savings.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
thnx guys :). I think i may get the 2.3, but i really want the X850! so I'm going to have to persuade my parents to lend me a bit of money ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Patch^ said:
Ok Guys, I know I said I was going to order a powermac last week or something, but I need some help deciding between 3 different specifications before I order.

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• 400GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• Bluetooth Module
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,558.44

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon X850 XT - 256MB DDR SDRAM
• Bluetooth Module
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,658.71

• Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5
• Bluetooth Module
• Mac OS X
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

Subtotal: £1,705.64 (Probably Max Spending Limit)

Please help me decide! I'm going to order it on tuesday or wednesday, fo sure!

*note - I get Educational Discount* :)

Thnx :)

Get Number 2. Definately.

You first said that iMac was ok for you and the tasks you've mentioned would run very well on iMac. But dual PM is an overkill, especially 2.3 GHz. You will not notice much difference in CPU speed between 2 and 2.3 GHz, but in gaming No. 2 (see quote) will be much better performer. (Rad x850xt over rad 9650 which is slower than 9600xt!!)

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
eXan said:
Get Number 2. Definately.

You first said that iMac was ok for you and the tasks you've mentioned would run very well on iMac. But dual PM is an overkill, especially 2.3 GHz. You will not notice much difference in CPU speed between 2 and 2.3 GHz, but in gaming No. 2 (see quote) will be much better performer. (Rad x850xt over rad 9650 which is slower than 9600xt!!)

indeed, but i need a computer that will last me at least 3-5 years. The 2.3 seems to have a little bit more expandability with RAM etc, which may last me longer. I think the 2.0 should do me ok and its considerably cheaper. I guess I'll have to dwell on it a little bit more.

I've noticed that there has been a lot of talk on the forum about the Graphics cards. I think some people think that the radeon 9600 and 9600XT are the same, which they aren't, so i have a couple of images from the pdfs of apples powermac documentation to help some people :)

screenshot.jpeg

screenshot1.jpeg

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
I think I am going to go with the 2.3GHz, Cuz I can upgrade the GFX card later. I just have on final question before I order and its for people who have the ATi 9650. How does it handle? Probably the most graphic intensive task i will be doing with it is playing UT2K4 on a 1280x1024 resolution.

Please can some one tell me about its performance ( I have seen barefeats, but i doubt i'l be running a game at 1900px). Also on a side note, has anyone attempted to use the ATI accelerator over-clock hack on it? what's the best speed that some one has got out of it.

Thnx ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.