iMac or rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nordicexpat, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Nordicexpat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I asked a question before, but I gave too many options. I'll try again and narrow down the options.

First, I already have a 2013 MBA (i5, 256, 8GB). I don't do anything computationally advanced, but I do use a virtual machine for elearning software (Windows 7 in Parallels). I'm also not a gamer. I need a new computer for work, and I've been given the following options:

1. iMac 27" quad-core i5 3.2GHz/8GB/1TB/GeForce GT 755M 1GB
    2. iMac 27" quad-core i5 3.4GHz/8GB/1TB/GeForce GTX 775M 2GB
    3. MacBook Pro 15-inch Retina quad-core i7 2.0GHz/8GB/256GB/Iris Pro Graphics

Both iMacs can be upgraded to 16GB memory, but I don't have the option of upgrading them to fusion or to an SSD. I don't have an option of upgrading the rMBP to 16GB memory (or getting one with a dedicated graphics card). I tend to work on an external display quite a lot, but I already have a 24" display (Samsung) at work.

Given the fact that I have the MBA, I'm leaning towards the iMac. Having to work on the spinning drive, however, makes the choice less clear for me. I'm fairly sure the rMBP with an SSD would feel snappier than the iMac during normal use (even if the latter had 16GB), but I'm not sure whether that would be the case in a VM, since the rMBP would be limited to 8GB. Any thoughts?

2. kelon111 macrumors 6502

You don't have to pay anything , right?

An SSD does make a big difference but depending on how much space you plan you use , you might have to worry about running out of space.

3. Nordicexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    No, I'm not paying anything, or otherwise I'd wait. But this is one of those "use it or lose it scenarios," so I'm also thinking about what would last longer. I'm not terribly concerned about space, as I think I could get by on external storage.

4. kelon111 macrumors 6502

The 27" screen on the iMac is much easier to work with multiple things when compared to a smaller screen.

5. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

Laptops are ergonomically horrible for your body. Your spine, hips and wrists will last a lot longer if you use a desktop. And you don't have to worry about a dead battery.

6. kathyricks macrumors 6502

13" rMBP will power desktop displayed including the giant 50" Ultra High Definition displays if you the need real estate space. So rMBP strikes me as more versatile than a giant 27" iMac that you can't even haul to an Apple Store easily if it needs attention. Plus rMBP is more modern with its retina display and SSD.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

8. sn0wman72 macrumors member

I would choose your second iMac

iMac 27" quad-core i5 3.4GHz/8GB/1TB/GeForce GTX 775M 2GB

Slightly faster processor and a more powerful (future proof) video card

You already have a laptop in the MBA. Not sure how you work, but I much prefer to work on my desk top

9. blanka, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

blanka macrumors 68000

4) MacMini 2.6 quad with DELL U2713HM, 16GB and 255 GB Sammy Pro with cable for the empty slot: 799+140+215+30+650=1830$
    You don't do gaming or other GPU stuff, so the HD4000 is great enough for accidental Minecrafting.
    You are having a way faster machine than an i5 iMac for that
    You are having a better screen with good warranty, good life expectancy (iMac screens are having all kind of troubles after a few years), ergonomics, 24p support etc.
    You have much less devaluation of the Mac. You can grab a new Mini in 2 years, continue using the Dell and only loose like 200$ on the Mini price, about the money you save now, but in 2016 it will buy you something way beyond all current macs.
    You stay way below the 1999 entry 27 inch imac price (1TB HD is NOT acceptable)
    You can take the Mini like the MacBook Pro, even easier as no adapter is needed. I work remote with my Mini quite often, and like it better than the notebooks before.