Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
While waiting on this year's refresh to purchase my first Mac, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should buy an iMac or a Retina MacBook Pro.

Truthfully, I don't need the portability of the MBP—my iPhone 7 Plus will accomplish most of what I need to do when I'm on the go, but I have a lot of trouble sitting for extended periods of time. So do you lot think that the power of the iMac line is powerful enough to warrant the stationary nature of a desktop computer?

As an aside, is the Fusion Drive really worth the extra $300?

Thanks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
While waiting on this year's refresh to purchase my first Mac, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should buy an iMac or a Retina MacBook Pro.

Truthfully, I don't need the portability of the MBP—my iPhone 7 Plus will accomplish most of what I need to do when I'm on the go, but I have a lot of trouble sitting for extended periods of time. So do you lot think that the power of the iMac line is powerful enough to warrant the stationary nature of a desktop computer?

As an aside, is the Fusion Drive really worth the extra $300?

Thanks.

Yes the performance increase, the bigger better screen and the more computer for your money of the 27 inch 5k iMac is well worth it.

But if having a stationary computer means you won't use it nearly as much go with the rMBP.

The 2tb and 3tb fusion is a good bit of kit with a 128gb SSD and an HDD well managed by brilliant fusion software. However you may want to consider a 256 SSD for your apps and OS and external storage for your files it all depends what you use your computer for and how you use it.

The 1tb fusion only has a 24gb SSD cache it's not such a great buy.

Reactions: max.ine

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Simple. Do you need to carry it around? Yes/No. That's the only question you need to answer.

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I am leaning towards the iMac, since it'd also have better specifications for gaming (sorry @keysofanxiety), but I may change my mind upon seeing the reveal. Thanks, everyone.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
You could always buy a rMBP along with an external monitor, keyboard, trackpad, etc. and have the best of both worlds just incase you need to be mobile but want to game.

I am in the same boat for both your question and waiting to see what comes of the redesign macbook pros.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I am leaning towards the iMac, since it'd also have better specifications for gaming (sorry @keysofanxiety), but I may change my mind upon seeing the reveal. Thanks, everyone.
You could always buy a rMBP along with an external monitor, keyboard, trackpad, etc. and have the best of both worlds just incase you need to be mobile but want to game.

I am in the same boat for both your question and waiting to see what comes of the redesign macbook pros.

If gaming is a significant part of your computer use then you may want to wait for Polaris iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.