imac or stick with macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tictaktwonk101, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tictaktwonk101 macrumors newbie

Hello

I'm trying to do a lot of video editing at the moment ( just for fun ) I'm using FCPX and motion 5 on my macbook pro (2011 i5 dual core). it's ok but starts to struggle when doing large clips or adding multiple effects to a clip. motion 5 really struggles. I was thinking of maybe getting an iMac but i would only be able to afford one of the 21" models. would it worth it or would a low end iMac not add any real benefit.

thanks for any comments....

2. bschwarz86 macrumors newbie

I would say if this is just for fun then make sure you don't have any other programs stealing resources while doing your editing and you should be fine. I have the I7 in my macbook pro 2011 and it rocks video editing but at the same time it isn't perfect. An iMac isn't going to solve your problem. If you feel this is something you want to expand on and turn into a serious hobby then I would recommend the Mac Desktop. Much more customization options and you can even load it with dual GFX cards and much faster processors. Of course this is only if you have the funds. I see people spend thousands of dollars on surf boards to support a hobby that is "just for fun", no reason you can't do the same in your situation. But again, the iMac isn't going to give you the performance boost I feel you are looking for. Just my 2 cents.