iMac or this PC? Such a hard decision. Help?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeArtworks, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Hey! I had already posted this earlier, but now it changed. There are now 3 different pc/imac I'm looking at. Please help, and tell me which is better for me.

I'm having such a hard time deciding.

I'm in for a new iMac / PC. I can not decide which.

What is your budget?
    - Between 800 and 1500 euro.

I want to use the device for:

- Graphic designing in Illustrator & Photoshop
    - Simple games (World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and Bioshock Infinite) with ultra graphics are not necessary. Minimum MEDIUM.
    - Many movies and watch youtube videos.

There's 2 computers I'm looking at now:

--- APPLE iMac 21.5 inch = 1450 Euro
    + Intel i5 quad core 2.9 GHz with turbo 3.6 ghz.
    + 8 gb Ram
    + 1TB 5400rpm HDD (I have an external SSD 128 gb)
    + NVIDEA GT 750M
    + Mac OS

--- MEDION Akoya P5312 G = 999 Euro
    + Intel i7 quad core 3.4 GHz with turbo 3.9 ghz.
    + 16 gb Ram
    + 64 gb ssd + 3 TB external HDD + external SSD
    + Geforce GTX 745 2GB GDDR5
    + Windows

AND IN ADDITION ANOTHER OPTION (Budget can be 1800 for this) =
    --- ACER Predator
    + Intel i7 quad core 3.4 ghz with turbo 3.9 ghz.
    + 16 gb ram
    + 256 gb ssd + 1 tb hdd
    + Geforce GTX 980 4gb GDDR5
    + Windows

Most important to know is if the iMac with 8gb ram is enough for the next 3 years. And if the intel iris pro will be good enough.

Well now I have a Windows PC, and since half a year a Macbook Pro 13 inch with Retina display (4GB RAM). Mac has very pleased me. Windows is not super bad either.

In addition I have an iPhone, and I eventually prefer Mac, but it is most important to me what computer would serve me best.

So games are: World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and Bioshock Infinite, maybe some planetside 2 and/or diablo 3. I have a PS4 for the tougher games.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you,

Greetings,

Mike

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

For gaming a fast i5 is more than enough. On the Mac the 750m is adequate for now. Your biggest slowdown is the Mac's 5400 rpm HD. However you have an external ssd for that. In all fairness I would go with your 3rd option, if windows isn't a problem. Pure because of the gpu, SSD. I don't know a lot about IL and PS anymore, but the more these programs use the gpu, the more you want that 980 or an i7 for multi threaded processes (such as video processing). It all depends if your filters and such us single core, are multi threaded or use gpu processing.

In 2010 I bought the top of the line 27" iMac, with i7. All Blizzard games run fine with native resolution and all settings on high. Now after a few years later and updates from Blizzard, it runs crap. SC2 is telling me that my computer is slowing down the game. D3 was hardly playable. I had to put all settings to medium or low and decrease resolution. In my opinion, Apple does and always has put yesterday's gpu's in their computers, which is fine when you buy them, but mostly after 3 years it's slowing down your performance, especially with games.