IMAC or WAIT - WORKING MACHINE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MaxFOCUS, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MaxFOCUS macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm a FIRST TIME poster and really need the help of some pro's :).

So I'm a Graphic Designer and need a new computer because newly I need to edite videos (also a lot of After effects CS6 and Adobe Premiere).
    On the last video I was working on the After Effects it was s huge Paint in the A*ç since the render times where really long (and when ur a employe TIME IS MONEY or OVERTIME :p) therefore I got a nice budget in my hands from my boss to upgrade my system.

On a daily basis I do more Photoshop, Indesign heavy files but occasionly I will have some heavy editing to do and also I will share this computer with a co-worker that will do some heavy 3D from time to time (maya, Cinema4D etc.)..

Currently I'm working on a:
    Imac 27" mid 2011
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5,
    12GB RAM 1333Mhz,
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M

So my question is....

Shall I wait for the NEW MAC PRO 2013 to come out or is a new MAXED out Imac enought (current model) or Shall I purchase a old MAC PRO (8-core)?

as I said the budget isn't much of a problem but I don't want to waist time on waiting for the New mac pro if it's not a must... also I don't want to spend money if not needed. :D

I hope I gave enought infos if not let me know :D

2. computergod macrumors newbie

Ya I know I want that new mac pro too....just thinkin though whats new that the mac pro right now is missin? thunderbolt ports?...lower prices?..gotta check//

3. computergod macrumors newbie

The problems I see with the mac pro right now is the proccesor could be better, newer faster one, mhz, because of that ram is no good either it's stuck at 1333 instead of 1600, graphics card should be nividia 680 or better~.....that price!,the new asus on future shop with everything in it and better!! is 1500$.......and thunderbolt it should have I guess....better upto date best sound card if not alreaady...and other things inside in there that should be the best they can be better everything better~...........and color picker for the computer.

4. Trixster macrumors member

it might not be what you´re asking for, but for the programs you list (Adobe, Maya, Cinema 4D) there´s a third option...
    You could, potentially, buy a windows based machine. Ofcourse, you´d have to get new licenses for the apps, which could be a problem as they´re pretty expensive. But depending on your current license deal you might need that anyway so...

The upside is that you don´t have to wait for the new mac pro which can come out next month or in december... noone really knows.

I to work alot with Premiere, After Effects and Cinema 4D and although my maxed out 27" iMac at home is certainly up for the task, it is slower then my office PC... And since you allready have a 2011 i5 iMac the new one will be a step in the right direction but I doubt you´ll get the speed you´re looking for.
    So in my opinion, you should either wait for the new mac pro, or get a windows based machine.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi MaxFOCUS. Welcome to the community and thanks for joining. IMO since you use the Mac Pro for work and generating income, just get a Mac Pro, 8 core or 12 core or refurbished units since you do After Effects and some 3D work. With the max out iMac you may be limited for expansion and if the new iMac can hold on long hours of usage. We still don't know the specs of the new 2013 Mac Pro and when it will be launched. If deadlines are crucial, at the end of the day you have a Mac Pro that gets the job done.