iMac or Windows Computer for 1080p Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by I AM THE MAN, May 10, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey everyone! I am wondering what would you suggest as an editing computer. I will be editing all my YouTube videos on this new computer (at the moment, I am editing 720p 29 fps MPEG-4 files but eventually will switch to a Cannon T2i). I am really confused on what kind of computer to purchase. I use both Windows and Macs and here are the software I use on each for editing.

Windows: (Dell Studio-2.5 Ghz Quad Core with a Nvideo 9800 GT and 8 GB RAM)

-Sony Vegas (its alright)

MacBook Pro (2.66ghz 2009 model w/ 4gb ram)

-iMovie
    -SceenFlow
    -Final Cut Express

I am stuck between 2 computers...the new iMac (the highest end with an i7 processor, and the best graphics card available) or an Alienware (i7 six core processor 3.73 ghz).

I know the Aleinware is more towards gaming, but does it really matter because it does offer hyperthreading. Thanks for all the replies in advance!

2. cprrowberry macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro and a Canon T2i and editing is a breeze. Go with the higher build quality and better editing software. It's worth it.

My youtube is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MUAJ_Xv2A
    We just released a Live Action Nazi Zombies video.
    We used 2 Canon T2i's for it lol. :p

3. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. your saying the iMac?

4. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Since the iMac can run Windows as well, it'd be my first choice. But that might be because I don't really like Alienware.

Thunderbolt might help later in the computer's life to put some new energy into it, although I would consider getting an SSD right now as well, if you can afford that to boot. It really makes a difference.

5. archer75 macrumors 65816

It makes no difference. You can edit video equally well on either platform with a large variety of software.

6. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I get what you mean, but the Alienware is more powerful than the iMac. However, I'm really aiming towards an iMac.

7. archer75 macrumors 65816

Well then you're in a bit of a pickle.

You could build your own as well. There are many PC options out there.

Mainly it comes down to software and you have a variety on both platforms to choose from.

You don't just have to use vegas in windows. I personally like pinnacle studios. But I like imovie too.

8. vladi macrumors 6502

Absolutely no difference. If you were gonna do compositing then I would say Windows because of the software but since you are doing YouTube you are fine with either.

iMac + You get a high end screen
    iMac - Internals are weak(er)

Windows + For the money you can get really high spec (if you build it yourself sky is the limit)
    Windows - Obvioulsy you would need a good screen and thats extra $

9. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Well said. Thank you for your reply.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most videos worth watching are made on a Mac.

OS X won't suffer the windows inexplicable slow down.

11. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Both will get the job done... as in before post, you could get more power from a pc by building it yourself.

The only thing that keeps me from staying in the pc univers is the fact that I have only ever owned one pc that didnt start to malfunction after 3 years. For some reason they just seem to be less durable.

As a comparison... I know that the 2011 MBP will run Premiere Pro, AE, Cinema 4D and Avid Media Composer without too much hassle. So I guess the new iMac will do more than fine... but again, so would a pc (if it keeps running without problems and the constant need for updates :S).

12. WasBeen macrumors newbie

I'd tell you to spend a little more time choosing the software, and other bits (sound, light, camera, monitor, discs, etc)......... but then buy an iMac with the money that is left (easy life).

13. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Let me just put it to you this way. You're asking Mac fanatics if you should use a Mac or a PC...

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

The computers don't mater. What's more important is the software. Use the "best" software then get whatever computer runs that software. I'd use Final Cut Express.

15. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I'd get the iMac, as it would mean you wouldn't be limited to just AVID if you want to progress beyond Sony Vegas (with a Mac you can run all the video editing programs, AVID, Final Cut and any other windows program you care to name.

16. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha yes.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Not to mention windows just simply isn't that great at working with large amounts of data. Flame away people but I've been a tech working in IT for over 10 years (exclusively working on Windows) and the media sections at two of my previous workplaces saw way less downtime (read: no downtime) once they switched to Macs due to the stability of the OS.

Not to mention the people here saying that "You have better hardware specs on blah" don't really know what they are talking about. You can't compare hardware across OS's. If you could then there would be no reason why my Macbook Pro could outrender my HP workstation.

And as others have stated, choose the best software for your needs.

18. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I do use both Windows and Macs, and I do have to agree that the OS on the Mac is very stable, but then again, the OS is made by the SAME company that makes the computers. I am thinking of getting an iMac just because of the software available. If I need to use the one software I use on Windows (sony Vegas) I could go to my Quad Core Desktop and/or just use Bootcamp on the iMac.