iMac os x 10.4 freeze on log in screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lizita, May 3, 2009.

1. lizita macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help, never had a problem with a freezing mac in 5 years of mac use so wouldn't like it to start now!

Whilst using firefox this morning it froze, force quit wouldn't work, entire screen froze. Keyboard shortcut wouldn't allow me to shut down, so I had to shut down via the on/off switch.

When I came to switch it on again it loads up to the log in screen, the mouse moves around the screen but when I click on my username nothing happens. I've taken out all USB cables, switched wireless keyboard and mouse on and off etc, restarted, no joy. Next I tried to startup with the c key and install disc, but again I got to the log in screen and nothing happened. I'm assuming as I can't log in and get to a desktop that is why it's not allowing me to start with the disc?

Is there anything I can do? Is it staring me in the face?

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like the keyboard and mouse aren't playing well with the iMac. What happens when you hold the option key on startup? Any other keyboards/mice you can try, and any other computers you can try that keyboard and mouse with?

3. baltakatei macrumors newbie

I also got this problem all of a sudden. I was using firefox, colloquy, tweetdeck, among other things, and then, something broke. I could move windows around, but that was the limit of my capabilities. I hard rebooted and got as far as being able to punch in my username/password and hitting "enter". After the login box thing disappears, I'm left with just my mouse and the standard OS X 10.5 background.

I left my iMac like this overnight, to see if I might be able to log in. No luck.

I can still boot into the bootcamp WinXP partition.

Booting with the OS X install disc and verifying the Macintosh HD filesystem showed no errors. Permissions was okay. SMART status: verified.

I tried an Archive and Install this afternoon with my OS X Install Discs. I still can't log in.

I'm still able to start a new Admin account, which I'm using right now, and it works fine, but I really would like to have my File Vaulted files back. What are my options?

4. Malene Espensen macrumors newbie

The best and cheap option is using a recovery tool like Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery Software which can absolutely recover your files back.You can download the free demo version and check your files preview...Give a try