imac os x training online from home??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paxtonstafford, Feb 28, 2015.

1. paxtonstafford macrumors newbie

what is available to the old guy former mainframer winders guy, who is thoroughly annoyed at not being able to overcome stupid stuff on this mavricks imac--and really tired of dealing the applecare folks who really don't seem much more adept at it than i am- and each help session is two hours of Guantanamo Bay type torture--

Thankfully, i have watched some of the david A. Cox vids on youtube, without that i would have really been screwed. As it is i am only partially screwed- so what i am after is semi formal training hw/and sw specifcially for imac os x mavricks etc, and whatever flows over to macbook stuff.--i don't care about phones, watches, coffee makers, etc--an online course would be great or something i could buy, download to a hd and stumble through it on my own-

I don't mind paying the money but i don't want to drive 100 miles round trip a day to go to class at the apple store and don't want to sit in class. work and learn from home is what i am after with a legit course in hw/sw apple style mac os x---thank you and thank you for your help--once again apple is no help.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Check out Lynda.com for training videos. You can try if free for 2 weeks. Subscription cost isn't too bad - $25 per month with discounted yearly option. Lots of courses on system, apps, development, and other. They have an iPad app that allows you to download courses for offline viewing. I usually watch the video on my ipad while working through the examples on my Mac.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm wondering if you just couldn't dig around on YouTube (or on the net in general) for videos and tutorials dealing with specific tasks or issues....

Also, I -highly recommend- a website called "macintouch.com" (along with this one right here!). Many many user reports to browse and search through.

It might be worth buying a book (or two) aimed at making the transition from "winders" to Mac, too!

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would also go for youtube. There is tons and tons of stuff on it. If you are fine with digging through it yourself and not needing an lecture - exercise - practice sort of setup, youtube is filled with plenty of tutorials, how tos.
    Just find some streamers that do the content you like and go from there. Youtube will recommend lots of similar stuff.