Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enuenu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I just dove into the Apple world with an iMac (OSX 10.9). I plugged my trusty Tascam US144 in and expected to see the OS prompt for installation. Nothing. So I manually downloaded a driver from Tascam. After trying a few, the only one that seemed to install OK was version 1.13. The US144 GUI control panel also installed OK. However the device is never detected. The control panel tells me so and it never shows up in Reaper. I have rebooted many times, both with the device plugged in and without it plugged in.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

enuenu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
It's been discontinued, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for updates.

It would annoy me if a perfectly functioning piece of hardware had to go in the trash for lack of software.

Which companies make gear that they also support for long periods of time? I'll be giving Tascam a miss from now on if this unit is now a paperweight.

I have contacted Tascam, I will post if they solve the problem.

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Tascam is due to post an update for the 144MKII this week (see their site - http://tascam.com/news/display/1802/ ). I have read that this will work with the 144 in the following way:

1. Make sure you uninstall the old driver

2. When installing the new, updated 144MKII driver, make sure your 144 is not connected via USB

3. Reboot with your 144 still disconnected. Once your Mac is up and running, plug in old 144 and it should be recognized.

I have the 144MKII driver for Mountain Lion (from their site) working with my 144 on Mavericks, but there is some audio clicking happening. I work in Logic.

Hope this helps.

Bob

enuenu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for that. Nothing is working so it looks like the US144 is a paperweight. Will have to bite the bullet and buy a new interface. I don't think I will go for a Tascam again, seem a more Windows oriented company.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Will have to bite the bullet and buy a new interface. ]]

Does your iMac have firewire available?

The advantage of firewire over USB, insofar as audio interfaces are concerned, is that you don't need any "drivers" at all. So long as the firewire-based interface is "CORE Audio compliant" (all modern ones seem to be), they will utilize the built-in drivers that are part of the Mac OS. Just plug in the interface, and the OS "sees it" immediately, and makes it available to your DAW apps. No "driver conflicts", now or in the future.

I understand that the latest versions of the Mac OS now have some kind of CORE Audio drivers for USB, as well. But it may take USB-based interfaces a while to catch up, as this is a hardware/firmware requirement with the USB "box" itself.

If your Mac is one of the newest and has only thunderbolt (no firewire ports), you can buy the $30 thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter, and use that with a firewire interface.

Steinberg offers some USB-based interfaces that look to be decent -- and they provide an "integrated solution" with Steinberg's Cubase software as well. I've been a Cubase fan for years.

I don't use Steinberg hardware, though. I've got an Echo "Audiofire8" that has been flawless in its operation.

If you're hunting for another interface, and are willing to consider firewire, you might try hunting up a used Audiofire4 or even the Audiofire8. They are no longer sold new, but can be found used (ebay, etc.) at decent prices. Nice equipment!

Pdublin

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
I had a strange situation whereby my iMac 2011 recognised my Tascam US144 in OS Sierra but not my MacBook Air 2012 on OS Sierra. This lasted a few days, but eventually the iMac stopped recognising it.

I have now found a driver that does work though (only tested on MB Air so far)

2013-12-12 00:00:00 | Driver V3.00d8 (OS X Mavericks and Yosemite only) - 1.65 MB | mavericks_us-122mkii_us-144mkii_driver_v300d8.zip

Make sure you completely remove all installed Tascam drivers, reboot, then install the above, without connecting the Tascam at any point, until you have rebooted for a second time.

Cheers

Paul

thewonders

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Beautiful Northern California
I had a strange situation whereby my iMac 2011 recognised my Tascam US144 in OS Sierra but not my MacBook Air 2012 on OS Sierra. This lasted a few days, but eventually the iMac stopped recognising it.

I have now found a driver that does work though (only tested on MB Air so far)

2013-12-12 00:00:00 | Driver V3.00d8 (OS X Mavericks and Yosemite only) - 1.65 MB | mavericks_us-122mkii_us-144mkii_driver_v300d8.zip

Make sure you completely remove all installed Tascam drivers, reboot, then install the above, without connecting the Tascam at any point, until you have rebooted for a second time.
Thanks for posting this. I just installed Yosemite and couldn't get my US-144 to work. I had been using Mountain Lion and the US-144 worked fine in that OS, but the ML driver doesn't work for Yosemite. Searched the Web I found your post and downloaded this driver - perfect. I just followed the instructions about unplugging the unit and removing all old drivers before I installed this one. After a reboot I plugged in the unit and instantly add sound. Awesome!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.