iMac out, MacBook Pro in. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joebrown84, Mar 9, 2012.

1. joebrown84 macrumors newbie

joebrown84

I've been thinking of chopping my 2008 iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 500GB iMac in for a MacBook Pro for a couple of weeks and have tentatively listed the iMac on eBay with a reserve. I was just wondering what you guys thought about that?

The main reason is portability. I'd prefer to do writing and web designing on the MacBook during long quiet shifts at work.

I'm looking at a MacBook Pro 15", 2.4GHz, 750GB model.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Don't do reserve pricing because:

1) Most people filter reserves out

2) Many people including myself get pissed off at people who reserves

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Ridiculous advice. What happens if the seller simply doesn't want to sell the item at less than a particular price? Just because you don't like reserves doesn't mean other people aren't capable of realising what they're for.

To the OP, switching will result in you having a faster machine in the MBP. My only advice would be to buy a decent external monitor so when you're at home you still have a big screen to work on.

4. turbobass macrumors 6502

Very good advice and if you want portable I'd say: go for it! The newer MBPs scream and are gorgeous.

also, peskaa great avatar!:)

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I suggest that you barrow a portable from someone before making the plunge to see if you are really going to be as portable as you think you may be.

I fell for the portability trap years ago when notebooks were becoming powerful enough to be used as main computers. I went and bought a portable Mac and honestly, the idea of portability was great for the first few months. However, not even a year later, I began to use my notebook as a full-fledge desktop. In fact, the only time I ever used it was when I was home doing work on it. It rarely moved in the years that I used it as a main computer before upgrading to my 2011 iMac. Now that I have a true desktop machine, I feel right at home when I do any work.

In short, what I really needed from the beginning was a powerful desktop machine. Being portable is a great idea but for a user like myself, it wasn't realistic. Now that I have the right tools for the right job, so to speak, I find that I still do 90%+ of my computing on my desktop and use my iPhone for my on-the-go computing.

Your iMac is still a powerful machine and I'm sure that you still get a lot of use out of it. Have you thought about just keeping it and buying the MacBook Pro/Air in addition to it? I mean, you could get the base model of either an Air or a Pro as those would be powerful enough for your on-the-go needs and come back to finish any additional work on your desktop at home.

6. camardelle macrumors 6502

I have both and both serve their needs. I love my desktop and would never change from one, but having some portability can be an advantage.

Get both? LOL

7. westw1 macrumors newbie

How much writing/web designing do you do?

If you want a MacBook I think you should swap out your iMac. That thing sits sullen and frustrated in the corner of your lounge as it is!

8. Spike88, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Hi joebrown84

If you need portable, then implement steps to get a portable. If wondering, my current iMac will be the last desktop I will own again. Especially for typical home usage (with no gaming). In addition to my iMac, we have 3 x portables in my home. And, we love the laptop's portability. Guess what I'm using now? Yup. On my sofa, watching TV and using my 17.3" portable (on my lap). If you need large screen, simply get a 24" external monitor and connect to your portable laptop. Connect external USB mouse and USB keyboard if you want as well. For me, "portable" is better than fixed position desktops...

Good luck....

9. turbobass macrumors 6502

This is the most sensible thing in this thread!!

Portable is nice, and I have PC netbook that I would love to trade up to MacBook, but I LOVES my iMac :D

10. Rogue. macrumors regular

11. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

A desktop/laptop combination is pretty nice to have. I've got it myself, with the computers in my signature, and I find the flexibility is very convenient.

However... the thing that makes this combination worthwhile is the fact that my iMac is MUCH more powerful than my Macbook, and I don't know if that stark duality will be experienced by OP with such an old iMac. Nonetheless, it's an option that should definitely be considered. :)

12. camardelle macrumors 6502

My netbook experience was less than stellar and that's what drove me to first explore getting a mbp in the first place. It's bigger than my netbook and much more bulky but the experience is a ton better.