iMac out UMBP in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jshwon, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

I am seriously debating selling my early 2008 2.4Ghz iMac and buying a 15" MBP. I love the iMac and it looks beautiful sitting on my desk in my office. The thing is I recently bought a unibody Macbook as second computer and find myself using that more because I can be anywhere with it. My iMac has been getting neglected :( . That being said I'm thinking about giving the Macbook to the wife and buying the MBP to replace the iMac. I feel I'd get more use (which I want to anyway) out of it simply because it can go anywhere with me. It can do all the photo and video editing I need since it will have the same if not more processing power than the iMac.

What do you guys think? Sell the iMac for a MBP? Anything I should watch out for with the MBP?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Definitely. Remember, the iMac is pretty much just a laptop with a desktop grade hard drive in it.

Invest in the 24" Cinema Display, and you'll have the best replacement for your iMac. Gorgeous 24" display for when at your desk, then the portability for whenever you want to use it elsewhere.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

or just get a really good dell, samsung monitor or what ever, and save a ton of money in the process.

4. The General macrumors 601

lol

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Sounds like how I started neglecting my iPod Touch when I bought my MacBook Pro... A month later, I sold the iPod Touch and then a couple months later, bought my iPhone. :p

6. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

That is a good idea regarding the display. I've seen those set ups in the gallery. They look just as nice, even more minimal which I like. Are there any "gotcha's" to watch out for with the MBP? I know with the MB the slanted key and battery cover were some issues.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

For sheer convenience I love having a mbp over a desktop:)

8. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

I like the iMac because you can have everything connected, ready to go on your desk. The iMac is peppier with it's 3.5" hard drive and has the larger screen and more ports. You can move it to a kitchen table if you wish so it's *sort of* portable.

Laptops are great because you can do your thing anywhere. You might find you're more productive because you can work anywhere instead of being tied to a desk and chair. You can always get a ACD later if you want, and treat it like a desktop.