iMac over MBP?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tommyp2401, Mar 20, 2012.

1. tommyp2401 macrumors newbie

Im looking at getting an MBP when the update hits. I primarily do video editing in Final Cut x and web design in photoshop, illustrator and dreamweaver and I'm wondering if getting a $1500 quad-core 21.5" iMac would help me out more over a $1500 dual core MBP. I like having portability, but I'm willing to compromise that if necessary.
    What do you think I should do?
    -Tommy

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Depending on how often you use these programs (im assuming alot) then I say go for the iMac, since you said you were willing to compromise. the 2 additional cores will make a large difference over a dual core with hyper threading.

Hope that helps.

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I recently purchased an iMac for the same reason you are thinking about it. I will rarely work outside my office, so all my portable surfing, emails, and entertainment come from my iPad. If you don't NEED the portability to provide raw power for design, then do you need a mbp

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The iMac will save you a lot of time in the long run.

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I'm a portable person. Guess what I'm doing now??? On the sofa, laptop on my lap and typing this one out. Love laptops. I'd never own a fixed position desktop computer again.

If laptop is on your mandatory list, get a laptop with external 24" monitor + keyboard + mouse at a fixed postion desk. When you need larger size screen, simply plug your laptop in.

6. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

which will perform better?

do they both add up to the same amount of cash?

7. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

If you want the similar specs, getting MBP + external monitor option is way more expensive than an iMac. For ex, lets say you spend 1600 on a decently spec'd MBP, and even a cheap 23" monitor, you'll be spending up to 2000 for the set up. for the same price, you can get a higher spec'd 27" iMac.

the question is do you need the computer on the go? are you looking to do editing away from your desk? or do you just need something for web browsing, media consumption. the iMac/iPad combination seems to be pretty popular these days and certainly makes alot of sense unless you need to do heavy duty productivity work on the road.

8. tommyp2401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I work from home and like to keep it at home, so I don't need the portability. I use a 4 year old macbook right now for travel and now that I think of it, all I do is check e-mail, social networks, and other web browsing on it. Im thinking now if the baseline would be enough so I could save some cash and get an ipad. I was originally leaning towards mbp, but it is cumbersome and is under used.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No, they are different prices. Or did you mean cache? ;)

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

When I first switched to Apple, I had a choice between iMac and Macbook Pro plus monitor. Illustrator was my major use at the time. I went iMac and got a lot more power for my money, and a great, large screen (I have a white iMac, so no glossy screen, which is a consideration on the newer models). Never regretted it.

11. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

lol. Good one.

I personally find it hard to buy a 13" mbp when for the same money you can get more than double the specs but as an iMac.

Dilemmas!

12. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Doesn't hyper threading o the dual core MBP add an extra 2 virtual cores? So it's a quad core? And for the OP: what model is it and specs for the MacBook pro? I live in the UK so things are priced differently here :S

13. tommyp2401 thread starter macrumors newbie

the $1500MBP has a dual core 2.8 ghz i7 with integrated graphics (meh), the $1500 iMac has quad core 2.7 ghz i5 with i think radeon 5770 512mb, the $1200 iMac has quad core 2.5 ghz i5 with i think radeon 5750 512mb. Im probably wrong with the graphics this is off the top of my head.

If the MBP is upgraded to a quad core with the refresh (praying) will it be worth it?