iMac overheat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by apenaroks, Sep 26, 2008.

1. apenaroks macrumors member

i posted like this earlier i think, but its just consistent. why is my iMac so hot in a romm were it is so cool? the fans r running at normal speeds, none of them are multifunctional and the iMac's vents arent being blocked. just after 5 minutes from start up (been off over night) it already boiling.

[​IMG]

this is hot. it gets way hotter after about 15 minutes of really, non intensive use. WHY?!

2. nakile macrumors regular

That can't be possible unless those temperatures are in Fahrenheit.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Even in fahrenheit, it's still pretty hot. Take to an apple store and show them the problem. they might replace it or fix it.

4. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

I've seen this on plenty of Dell laptops. For Dell Laptops the motherboard needs to be replaced. I'm sure it's the same for apples.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

What you're talking about? Those temps are just right, nothing extraordinary... What makes you think it overheats? Does it shut down or melt or what? :confused: :rolleyes:

(I hope those temps are in F, not C)

6. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Yeah, those temps seem pretty normal. It's consistent with what I experienced in my Intel iMac and iMac G5. Neither one of them have caught on fire yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

7. apenaroks thread starter macrumors member

A Reply To All

A REPLY TO ALL

yes, those temps are in F

sorry, im not quite familiar with C

it gets hotter. FAR HOTTER THEN THIS!!!

right now, i cant take a picture, snapz pro x crashed on me, the temps r

Hard Drive : 115
    CPU: 112
    Airport (!!!): 122
    Ambient (whats ambient?): 90
    GPU: 123
    GPU Diode: 130
    GPU Heatsink: 124
    HD Bay 1 (isnt this the same as the hard drive?): 101
    Mem Controller: 115
    Optical Drive: 110
    PSU (wow!): a whoping 150

WHY?!

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

170-180 Fahrenheit on the CPU/GPU diode and call me back. That's what iMac hit when gaming.

Your head would spin taking a look at the idle temperatures on my MacBook.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Again, those temps are normal for aluminium iMac. Why? Because computers get hot. Computers in small cases get hotter and unless they shut down on their own, its ok for them.

Eidorian is right about MacBook temps. Mine sits idle and has the dollowing temps:

CPU - 139 F
    HD - 104 F
    RAM - 122 F
    (ambient - 75 F)

Your eyes would be like O_O after you see my iMac G5's idle temps:

CPU - 158 F
    HD - 138 F
    ambient also 75 F.

10. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Quite normal for an iMac I should say.... You probably haven't seen temperatures of other computers in operation; if you actually compared them then you might think them reasonable.

mine:

Hard Drive : 121
    CPU: 155
    Airport: 122
    Ambient: 97
    HD Bay 1: 126
    Mem Controller: 142
    Optical Drive: 113

11. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

And those MacBook temps are a bit low compared to what I get...
    My Macbook CPU hits 90°C (~194°F) quite regularly for intensive web-browsing
    And if you set it to "bettery performance" without the power plugged in, the fan runs slower and it goes over 100°C (~212°F) when gaming

And speaking of normal idle temperatures after operation? ~60°C with 70°C for CPU (that's 140 and 158 respectively in F)

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^^^
    for a new penryn processor id consider 40*C-60*C to be normal after operations...

13. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Oh, well, my MB was bought a year ago, so it's not penryn, I think...

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in that case, no it would be the older model. id consider somwhere around 45*C-70*C average then...

15. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Thought so. But then my father's MBP has a penryn and it's running quite hot in XP....

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I stated my idle temps for both iMac G5 and MacBook (rev.B from late 2006).

When I'm doing heavy stuff on MB CPU runs at 85 C (185 F) on average. New Penryns have lower idle temp, but get just as hot when under heavy load. Penryns are 45-50C at idle (vs 60C on mine) and 84-88 under load just like mine. (I tested 2 penryn MBs and mine to make this comparison, all plugged-in). The 2.4ghz penryn MBP that I testet, however, was 50C idle and 70-75 under load. I guess second fan and aluminium case helps in this case.

17. johto macrumors 6502

johto

If you dont have any intensive background processes taxing CPU / GPU / HDD, your ambient temperature should be close to your ROOM temperature.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pffft if your running XP via bootcamp then forget all cold things. the heat cant be managed properly for some reason....dont ask me why because ill be told that im wrong by someone smarter, maybe then can help you out haha.

19. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Obviously. And that goes twice for anyone running a MBA. It doesnt hav any ventilation system, (dun think so.)

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Handbrake! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• hot.png
      hot.png
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  21. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

lol none of mine go above 60 on my mbp

but when i run programs that demand lots of ram its gets hot. I think your fine like everyone said until your computer shuts down by itself, then you should take it in. :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

22. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I've heard of computers going hot when running CPU-intensive programs/Apps.. but not RAM-intensive...

23. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Well doest running programs that use up a lot of ram effect your cpu usage? Which results in the cpu to become hotter.

24. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

You know you can use cmd shift 4 to take a snapshot right??

Look at this: I don't even have airport on. MacBook.

Attached Files:

25. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I agree that the first set of temps, even the 2nd set of temps are all "normal", if listed in Fahrenheit.

The power supply has fairly basic components - no complex ultra-dense multi-layer CPUs -- just your run-o-the-mill FETS, Coils and Caps -- which can safely sustain MUCH higher temps without damage.

In addition to this, at least on the 20" and 24" white iMacs, the power supply is cooled with the discharge air from the CPU heatsink. (the air is drawn in via a squirell-cage blower on the bottom, to the left of the ram slots -- which is where the ambient temp sensor is -- after passing over the heatsink for the CPU, its channeled into the power supply, and finally exits out the top vent (still on the left side).

Another thing - the iMacs use a mobile-type processor - these tend to be designed to tolerate higher temperatures - due to the limited heat-sink size, power availability for active cooling, and the myriad of environments laptops tend to operate in.

So in short - don't sweat it. If your system is having KP after KP, or you smell Carbon of Peanut Butter type smells coming out of your iMac - then worry.

Attached Files: