iMac overheating because I cloned the boot drive from a Mac Mini???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Splinesmith, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Splinesmith macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I have a mid 2010 iMac, and it was one that had the recalled Seagate HDs. I kept waiting for a chance to take it in for a complimentary replacement, but never did and now the "complimentary" offer has expired. Of course, now my hard drive has failed.

So while weighing my options, I came up with a workaround that has helped me to keep working. I cloned the main drive of my Mac Mini (only other machine I own that is using Snow Leopard--the same OS I was running on my iMac before the HD died) onto a LaCie Rugged external drive. I boot up from that, and the machine works great...

...except I swear it runs hotter than it used to. I don't know for sure, because I didn't think to check the operating temperatures of the iMac before the hard drive went out. But it gets *really* hot--when I put my hand on the back in the upper left region, I can't leave my hand there. According to iStat Nano, the GPU diode has reached 76 degrees Celsius. When it is that hot, I have heard slight popping sounds coming from the iMac. Now I'm using it in bursts--until it heats up, then I shut it down to allow it to cool.

So my long-winded question is, did I do a bad thing using a system disk cloned from a Mac Mini? I'm wondering if that system folder might not be properly hooked into the cooling sensing system of the iMac because the library thinks it is a Mac Mini.

I have tried installing a new System folder onto the Rugged using the boot discs from the iMac, but have so far had no luck. It won't install from the Mac Mini, and I can't install anything from said boot discs on the iMac because its internal SuperDrive crapped out years ago. I can't get the iMac to boot from the iMac System DVD from an external DVD drive (a problem I believe is well-documented).

Any suggestions?

2. khedden macrumors member

Boot to the recovery partition, wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

Or create a mavericks USB installer and boot from that, then do the same wipe and fresh install.