iMac overheating?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nlynn527, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I have kind of a weird question...I am in a constant battle with my roommate and her stupid friend that is always here over the thermostat. (They are 18 and 19 and have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything.) I prefer the temperature to be set around 68-70 degrees. Which I think is a very reasonable comfortable temperature. For some reason it was at 67 last night and I heard them yelling about it. I didn't touch it. I don't know know why is was only 67 degrees. Anyway, I guess in an attempt to royally p*ss me off, they decided to turn it up to 93 degrees this morning. Yes thats right, NINETY-THREE degrees. Luckily I caught it before it got any warmer then 70... Now my question is I have my iMac, macbook pro and iPad in my room. If I leave for the day and they decide to do something asinine like this again, are my gadgets in trouble?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Nlynn527 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but I'm not sure you actually read the post. Maybe the title is misleading. Im not asking whether it is overheating because I'm using it. Im asking if it is safe for them to be sitting in a room that is 93 degrees..

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't worry about the ambient room temperatures. You iMac is able to cool itself very well and it is alright for them to be subjected to heat like that.

5. Nlynn527 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I am just worried leaving it in that kind of heat or while I'm not here period. Would it be safer to turn them off while I am gone in the event they do decide to turn it back up?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iMac is fine. If it does get too hot, it will speed up its fans. Its fans are normally running very slowly, but get rev up and move lots of air. If the fans are not able to remove enough heat, the iMac will shut down to prevent damage to its systems.

7. Spike88, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

There is a saying in my house... One who pays the heating costs makes the rules. If the person says 19F is the proper setting, then its the proper setting. Or if splitting the heating costs, the landlord has final ruling. Only "the owner" is allowed to touch (adjust) its temp range setting dial. And if people continue to adjust the setting behind their back, the owner of the dial can legally buy and install a lock over the thermostat unit. Thus, why many schools and rental sites have locks over their thermostat. re: Unauthorized people cannot adjust its setting. Perhaps one should mention this solution....

8. Nlynn527 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. We are currently in the middle of spring break so I am not staying here much. But I was back today to grab a few things. I have many other issues with them that I have discussed with the housing director, such as blaring the radio at 3am and leaving the main door to the suite propped open all day and night because they are too lazy to carry their keys. I also caught them smoking weed in MY bathroom last weekend. I mean am I crazy for having the heat set between 68-70? Isn't that like normal room temperature? These girls are absolutely ridiculous. Its painfully obvious that they have no sense of decency or respect for anyone.

9. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

mmmm..... Sounds like its time to move. During my previous college years, I moved 3 differnet times before finding the right environment - that was right for me. After that time period, my school grades went vertical upwards. And, less personal stress as well. Perhpaps its time to move to a different environment as well....

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the title is misleading, but read my post. It directly addresses your question.

11. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

12. Nlynn527 thread starter macrumors regular

There isn't much I can do. The housing director won't do anything. In fact they made it worse for me by telling my roommate I said something about what was going on. My lease isn't up until the middle of May. I'd be out a lot of money if I just left.

13. Nlynn527 thread starter macrumors regular

When I refreshed the page the post I replied to is not the post that shows now.

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I don't get what it means by 50-95. What part of it is supposed to get 50-95? The CPU, the GPU, etc? Mine gets much higher than that.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the room temperature, not the temp of any Mac components.

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Got ya. I was worried, lol. I was like, "Dang, mine hit's mid 100's or more."