imac overheating

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allisonv7, Jul 13, 2007.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

My imac g5 is constantly going to sleep because of overheating. I can really only use it for about half and hour or an hour max before it just shuts down. I recently (in the last two months) had to have the HD replaced, the logic board and the power supply because it kept freezing. Now it's been doing this overheating thing for weeks and I'm extremely frustrated. I ran techtools but nothing came up. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been monitoring the heat and fans with istat pro and the fans are up to 5600 in no time and the temp is consistently rising.

I hate to go back to the apple store (I have apple care) but last time it took me three "fixes" before my machine would stop freezing (1st: HD was replaced, 2nd: They said nothing was wrong and sent it home, where it promptly froze, 3rd: Replaced logic board and power supply).....and now it goes to sleep because of overheating. Ugh :(.

Because of my schedule it's hard to make it down there and don't want to make the trip unless absolutely necessary. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be??

Thanks,

allison.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It sounds like someone goofed one of the repairs. Regardless of what's gone wrong, its almost certainly hardware related. The only option is to open up the machine and troubleshoot. A daunting task if you haven't done so before, and not worth it if you've already paid for AppleCare.

If you don't want to go all the way to Apple Store, you see if there are any Apple Certified Service Providers in your area.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Three repairs and it's still not fixed. You should request a replacement and or email sjobs@apple.com and explain what happened. Just make sure you have all you repair numbers to prove it. I had the exact problem as you with a iMac 1.6. Needless to say they replaced it with a iMac 2.0 intel

4. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I called Applecare yesterday and long story short is I'm getting a new iMac!! :)

I called and spoke to the tech after explaining my problem we booted off the install disk and ran disk utility, nothing really came of it. She said she was going to transfer me to the next level of support so I went ahead and asked about the possibility of a replacement. She said that that seemed plausible, but I'd need to speak to the next level of support to get that kindof help.

At the next level the tech asked what the problem was and previous problems. I told about the recent repairs in May and also that the logic board had to be replaced two years ago as well. The repairs from two years ago were not showing up at all in the system, luckily I still had the repair paperwork and receipts, but even with the repair numbers he couldn't find any record. At this point he asked if I had a digital camera and if I could take pics of the paperwork to verify it. I agreed, he said to email them and he'd call back.

About an hour and a half he called back and said I could get a replacement machine. They were going to give me the base level iMac, but it doesn't have a superdrive and my current one does so I asked for the superdrive and he bumped me up to the $1199 model.

The process is they send shipping labels for my old machine, I pack it up and FedEx takes it and when it's received they send me the new computer. I was told this whole process should take 4-6 business days.

Hopefully it works out, my only concern is that he forgets to upgrade me to the superdrive model. Sending things away makes me nervous, I'm crossing my fingers on this one!! :eek:

allison.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Thats a great ending to the story. The new iMacs are awesome, I'm sure you'll love this one even more.

6. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, to me it'll be a great ending when I actually have the correct model in hand, this shipping makes me nervous! :)

allison.

7. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Imac on Friday. I'm very happy with it, and VERY happy I decided to call AppleCare.

:)

allison.