IMac password question....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by deceptichop, May 17, 2009.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

Greetings Apple fanatics,

Heres my question. I have an old school Indigo Imac. It was my uncle's and unfortunately he just passed away. I am attempting to install software but it wants the password. Oviously I cant ask my uncle. If I can not install my apps then this Mac will be worthless to me.

What do ya'll suggest? Thanks guys and gals

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Boot off the OS install disc and you can change the password.

3. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I dont have that. Is it possible to use the install disc from my new MBP? Prolly not huh.

Is there someway I can download an install disc for the IMac?

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

You can order replacement discs from Apple but I think that the iMac would of come with 10.1 or 10.2 and you best bet would be eBay.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you call Apple for replacement discs, they're suppose to give you the OS that originally came with your computer but if you ask nicely, there's a good chance that they will give you 10.3 or 10.4 (depending on what's compatible for your computer).

6. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies guys, I appriecate it. I looked on Ebay and found a couple of possiblities, however they are in Europe. And I dont want to wait for shipment.

My cousin has a PowerPc G5 running Tiger 10.4. Would his install disc work on the older IMac??

7. MTI macrumors 65816

What OS is the machine running? If it's one of the early OS X verisons, then you can change the password by getting into "single user mode" with changes being made using terminal commands.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Nope. You either need the exact same install discs that came with the iMac or a retail box

9. MTI macrumors 65816

Pre-Tiger (10.4) install discs weren't machine specific, so if you can find Panther . . . it really would help to know what OS he's got.