Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys.

I'm on the verge of giving my parents my 2015 5k 27" and thinking of going over to the dark side and building my own pc desktop.

I'd like to know if anyone has done this recently, and how do they feel now that they have made the move?

Thanks so much x

Reactions: Alx9876

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I primarily like OS X for laptops. When using a trackpad, OS X shines. As soon as you have a mouse, Windows is very efficient. Windows on a trackpad sucks.

I do wish I could dual boot on my custom PC into OS X. That's an ideal world. While there are options, I haven't really figured that one out yet (plus I figure there are lots of bugs to work around).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd like to know if anyone has done this recently, and how do they feel now that they have made the move?
In your other thread you mentioned about installed windows as the primary (and only) OS. I'd say stick with that for a while. Seems like you just bought the iMac and you're looking to drop even more money on another computer. I guess if you have the money, go for it, but the iMac is a fantastic computer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 10 updates annoying.
I'll give you that, and the window for reboots is ludicriously short. I cannot define my working hours from 6:00am to 7:00pm for some silly reason. I don't work all those hours, but I certainly don't want to see a reboot during that window of time.

Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'll give you that, and the window for reboots is ludicriously short. I cannot define my working hours from 6:00am to 7:00pm for some silly reason. I don't work all those hours, but I certainly don't want to see a reboot during that window of time.
had it reboot for updates on me several times over the past few weeks of having windows. Annoying is an understatement
[doublepost=1479132706][/doublepost]
If you chose carefully building a system you could also end up with a hackintosh.
I couldddd. Am thinking the gtx 1070 for gpu. know if that is supported with sierra?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
I couldddd. Am thinking the gtx 1070 for gpu. know if that is supported with sierra?
I'd go over to tonymac to look. Excellent resource for building a hackintosh. Just being able to winnow down the parts choices and avoiding later incompatibilities. Even if you didn't make it a hackintosh out of the gate.
Builder Guide
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2016
Sierra
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/
Nvidia
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-1-367-15-10-15.205568/

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Hey guys.

I'm on the verge of giving my parents my 2015 5k 27" and thinking of going over to the dark side and building my own pc desktop.

Thanks so much x

I recently did this. I had the maxed out 5K iMac and sold it to get better hardware. Now on windows and everything properly set up I dont understand why I havent done it sooner. And personally I would never consider the Hackintosh route. Leaving Apple because of lack of hardware but still being forced to buy old hardware because thats what apple approves in their OS is a no-option to me. Even if it becomes more powerful than what apple has to offer. I paid a lot for my new machine, but I can only imagine what apple would have sold the same machine specs for...Probably something completely crazy. So, For my work computer I will never get an apple computer again. Being able to slap in whatever I like and when I like is an appealing thought. And personally I like Windows...Maybe not as much as OS X but all the stuff I can get + games makes it a lot better in my opinion. Apple has stopped innovating and they have even stopped updating their computers...the only creative thing they have the balls to do these days is to increase their prices on all ready old hardware.

Last edited:

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I recently did this. I had the maxed out 5K iMac and sold it to get better hardware. Now on windows and everything properly set up I dont understand why I havent done it sooner. And personally I would never consider the Hackintosh route. Leaving Apple because of lack of hardware but still being forced to buy old hardware because thats what apple approves in their OS is a no-option to me. Even if it becomes more powerful than what apple has to offer. I paid a lot for my new machine, but I can only imagine what apple would have sold the same machine specs for...Probably something completely crazy. So, For my work computer I will never get an apple computer again. Being able to slap in whatever I like and when I like is an appealing thought. And personally I like Windows...Maybe not as much as OS X but all the stuff I can get + games makes it a lot better in my opinion. Apple has stopped innovating and they have even stopped updating their computers...the only creative thing they have the balls to do these days is to increase their prices on all ready old hardware.
Wow that is the best comment ive ever seen on this site.
Completely agree on all fronts :eek:;)

What are the specs of your new machine?

Reactions: Alx9876 and Praxeus

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

This is the specs for my new machine. I went quite far on the specs, because I'm going to use this as a render machine and Adobe Programs machine mainly, I tried to find components that does both as good as possible without too much sacrifice on each end. Since Adobe programs prefer high GhZ and rendering works best with a lot of cores - so I went for the Broadwell -E Prosumer CPU. I sold my iMac which paid for about 1/3 of the machine, since Apples machines has a pretty good resell value compared to PCs (thats one of the plus points to Apple - guess people wants to buy enclosed machines when buying used hardware). I dont expect this machine to have any resell value, but usage is more important to me than resell value. And since I can build upon this over time, the lastbility is a lot longer than any macs anyway.

Hexa Core 6850K overclocked to 4.4GHZ
128GB DDR 4 2666MhZ Ram
GTX 1080 overclocked MSI Gaming Z card (its completely silent)
Asus Rog Strix x99 Gaming MB
1tb 850 Pro SSD - and 12tb of regular HDD's
32" PA329Q Monitor

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
Hexa Core 6850K overclocked to 4.4GHZ
128GB DDR 4 2666MhZ Ram
GTX 1080 overclocked MSI Gaming Z card (its completely silent)
Asus Rog Strix x99 Gaming MB
1tb 850 Pro SSD - and 12tb of regular HDD's
32" PA329Q Monitor
There's no questioning that this is a higher performing machine than the iMac, to be sure.

I believe the only area we might beat you would be SSD speed.

It's too bad we can't get an Apple computer with specs like that. Really makes you question the company.

Reactions: -BigMac-

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
There's no questioning that this is a higher performing machine than the iMac, to be sure.

I believe the only area we might beat you would be SSD speed.

It's too bad we can't get an Apple computer with specs like that. Really makes you question the company.

Yes I regret the ssd. But I had been out of the hardware game too long to know about the m.2 ssd when I ordered the components. But yet another good thing, it's not to late change that ;) I'll probably invest in a m.2 2tb ssd next year with 2500/1500 Mbps speeds. Then that's also faster than the iMac ssd's. but the only thing that holds me back is real life performance differences. From what I read and seen so far nothing really becomes any faster. Opening programs, boot time etc all pretty much stays the same except a few milliseconds. But I'll research that some more before I decide.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Hey guys.

Thanks so much x

Curious, what about the iMac is making you think of switching over?

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal

Seems like Tim Cook didn't learn a thing being friends with SJ's all those years. Welcome to Tim Cook's version of Apple. Old hardware with new software. Now it's more true then ever.

Six years after buying my 27 inch i7 iMac maxed specs..I built a PC instead. I love Mac OS more in every regard, However this isn't about software.

The hardware is not worth it for the price. The iMac screen size never became bigger i.e. 32 inch size.

So I agree with other people that have created similar threads here in the iMac side of the house.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Hackintosh is the best:

1. dont have to deal with crappy windows
2. dont have to deal with crappy apple production quality and outdated hardware

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hackintosh is the best:

1. dont have to deal with crappy windows
2. dont have to deal with crappy apple production quality and outdated hardware

Con: Have to build your hackintosh with mostly apple supported hardware
[doublepost=1479344670][/doublepost]
New macs are becoming Jony Ivy modern art objects instead of computers.
This is so true:D
[doublepost=1479344727][/doublepost]
Seems like Tim Cook didn't learn a thing being friends with SJ's all those years. Welcome to Tim Cook's version of Apple. Old hardware with new software. Now it's more true then ever.

Six years after buying my 27 inch i7 iMac maxed specs..I built a PC instead. I love Mac OS more in every regard, However this isn't about software.

The hardware is not worth it for the price. The iMac screen size never became bigger i.e. 32 inch size.

So I agree with other people that have created similar threads here in the iMac side of the house.
32" 8k:cool:
[doublepost=1479344807][/doublepost]
Curious, what about the iMac is making you think of switching over?
Only the upgradeability.

I want to upgrade my graphics card to the gtx 10xx:) and maybe a cute little hex core

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
New macs are becoming Jony Ivy modern art objects instead of computers.
This is actually a good thing. I love that Macs look so good that they are viewed as artistic by people, that doesn't have to have anything to do with specs. A computer can look good AND perform well, sadly Apple doesn't perform so well on the hardware side of things.

Seems like Tim Cook didn't learn a thing being friends with SJ's all those years
Certainly not. Cook's lead seems to have been more self-destructive than anything.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
This is actually a good thing. I love that Macs look so good that they are viewed as artistic by people, that doesn't have to have anything to do with specs. A computer can look good AND perform well, sadly Apple doesn't perform so well on the hardware side of things.

Certainly not. Cook's lead seems to have been more self-destructive than anything.

yeah, lately apple has been doing too much designing and too little performance and quality hw

Reactions: varian55zx

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
yeah, lately apple has been doing too much designing and too little performance and quality hw
Exactly. And again I'm all for the designing, I like the way Apple computers look.

But performance is a different matter and isn't related to design in any way. Design is no replacement for specs (of course not).

If they want to be respectable they need to continue delivering on the design front, and also deliver on the performance front. They can't simply ignore one front because they are delivering on the other one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.