iMac "Penryn" 2.8GHz vs i7 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dalvin200, Aug 3, 2010.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I currently have a 24" (Early 2008) 2.8GHz "Penryn" iMac with 4GB RAM and nVidia 8800GS.

Mainly use it for iLife apps / Photoshop and web development + general web usage of course incl watching HD video and editing HD video.

I haven't really kept up to date with speeds etc..

I am thinking of replacing my current machine with the 27" i7 2.93 and having 8GB RAM (to start with)..

What performance gains in reality will I see in iMovie HD video editing and general day to day use?
    Is it going to be noticeable faster to export HD movies/import AVCHD into iMovie 09? (I'm hoping the new iLife will take advantage of multi cores etc.. to speed things up too)

I've been looking on other threads at speed test benchmarks and i believe my current iMac score about 4000 Geekbench points in 32bit mode compared to around 9000-10000 Geekbench points on the i7.

While that sounds impressive, it doesn't mean much to me in terms of what it actually offers in real life.

I've been contemplating upgrading my dad's very old windows pc to a mac, so was thinking of giving him the 24" anyway... but only if it is a worthy upgrade for me.

I would like your opinions and advice on this matter please.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would go as far as to say that the processor is at least twice as fast in multi-threaded operations.

Turbo Boost should provide nearly the same in single threaded.

3. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

what do you mean by "turbo boost"?
    my only knowledge of this is from Knight Rider!! lol..

does the imac automatically turbo boost when it needs to?

by single/double threaded is that the same as 32bit/64bit?

4. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

The processor closes down the redundant cores allowing it thermally to take a single core up to the region of 3.3 (or is it 3.6?)

5. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

i assume that's a good thing right?

so if the i7 is double the speed, then i should see a double speed boost in importing hd movies from my camera and also exporting etc.. ?

6. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Have you tried posting in the photography / digital video forums for a reply from someone with 'real time' experience?

7. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

If you buy a new iMac now you'll only kick yourself when (probably) next year they come out with machines equipped with USB 3 and Lightpeak etc.

Unless you need a new Mac, hang on to the one you have. I am, and my machine is the same as yours.

If you want to spend money, buy a Mac mini and use it for encoding vids while you use your machine proper.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, the new i7s will kick your C2D's ass

Barefeats benchmarks

Macworld i5 benchmarks

But that doesn't mean your iMac is a pokey puppy. You've already taken your biggest depreciation hit. I would wait it out until Jan. to see if the next revision brings Lightpeak and USB3. That will be a dream for transferring big video files and RAW photos. Intel is looking to launch lightpeak in Q1 '11 so I have to think it's good chance we'll see it in a iMac revision before the end of the first half.

9. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ahhhhh...

i guess my dad will have to wait then :)

I'll take your advice!

Thank you.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well this is the second gen of the new iMac's so giving your dad the 24" would be a good "gift" if it still works well (and a nice upgrade for you)...

11. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

it'll work plenty well for my dad... all he would want to do is use iTunes, iPhoto, and surf web/email...

it's tempting, but also tempting to wait a few months to see what 2011 brings, if what the guys above is to go by :)

12. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

My mid-2010 2.66GHz Mini scores 4060 in Geekbench2, just to give you a point to compare. I'd wait for the next revision, too. If it's as fast as the newest Mini, it's still good.

13. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

well... i bit the bullet and actually ordered an i& with SSD option!!!

14. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

You didn't hang on very long for USB3 etc!!!

At least your dad's getting a very nice gift.
    :p

15. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

well.. u know... :) usb3 and lightpeak will come but may come with their own set of problems to begin with (rev a machines).... so will let the dust settle before upgrading and usb 3 peripherals are a lot more common.

16. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Your reasoning about being wary of Version A technology [early adoption] is spot on.

Also, I thought the idea of waiting for better specs on the next iMac revision [when ever that would be] was not personally my first choice.

So well done you!

17. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

there's always something better around the corner... so what can u do?