iMac Performance: Why is it suddenly d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g-?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jodeo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jodeo, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

Jodeo macrumors member

Jodeo

Hello, and HELP!!!

I have an iMac (Alum/2007) with 4GB RAM running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, software updates all up to date.
    • 2TB Western Digital Drive w/500GB Boot Drive and plenty of free space (300+GB); SMART Status = VERIFIED. The drive is 2 years old.
    • Ran Disk Utility from SL install disk and repaired permissions.
    • Did the FSCK -fy thing; no issues.
    • Ran Disk Utility, repaired permissions twice.
    • Ran Tech Tools - everything passed.
    • Reset PRAM.
    • Reset SMC.
    • Unplugged all peripherals before doing all this - no change.

Up until about a week or so ago I had NO performance issues. None. Then I started having a beach party with beach-balls happening all the time. This was especially the case when either Mail or Safari were running. This *seemed* to happen after either a software update with a security patch and/or possibly after a Flash update. With Flash disabled, there is no difference.

Generally an app will suddenly beach ball and freeze the system. It may take a few seconds or several minutes for control to resume. With Activity Monitor running and visible I see nothing to suggest anything in particular is causing the problem.

1. What should I try to resolve the performance?
    2. Any ideas what it may be that caused this?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

While running Disk Utility, what kind of report does it give you re "SMART" status?

At the age of 6 years, the internal drive could be on the verge of failing. "Spinning beach balls" can be an indicator of this.

Actually, might be time to consider upgrading to either Lion or Mountain Lion, unless there is a specific reason why you need to stick with 10.6.

4. Jodeo thread starter macrumors member

Jodeo

Thanks.

Thanks; there are a few tips there I haven't tried.

----------

[/COLOR]

I didn't mention the drive is only two years old. SMART status is verified.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I had 2 drives fail over the past 5 years, the SMART status showed "Verified" on both right up until failure. Not sure how "smart" it is. Even the hardware diags showed no problems with the hard drives. :D

But the symptoms on both were sluggish system performance and frequent beach balls.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I agree with marzer on this.

Also, perhaps you should create another user account and see if the problem exist in that one.