iMac plus Solid State Drive Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by libnitz, Aug 19, 2011.

1. libnitz macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased an iMac 2.7Ghz i5 which comes with a 1TB HDD.

I would like to know if the iMac will have any problems if I decide to install an Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD with the existing 1TB HDD.

PS: I plan to take the iMac to an authorized Apple Dealer to proceed with the installation.

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think Authorized Dealers will do that, especially with a non-Apple SSD. If you can get them to do that, it will work though.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Most AASC will do this work. About $80 labor.

Cheers,

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I've never had problems getting an AASP to upgrade hard drives for me, so I'm sure you won't have any problems. Just to be safe though, you should call your local AASP before you buy the drive.

Just FYI: Apple Stores will NOT do any upgrades like this. You have to take it to an AASP.

I wouldn't buy that Intel drive though... your iMac supports SATA III, and that Intel model is SATA II. Check out this one instead (practically the same price):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

5. libnitz thread starter macrumors newbie

I already purchased the SSD :( almost a week now. The local AASP claim they will install the SSD for $120. I'll probably fish around for other dealers and differentiate prices.

6. chapito macrumors newbie

2.5" hdd?

Hi
    Just curious, does anyone know if is it possible to install a 2.5" HDD instead of a SSD?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Yes it is possible. Same process.

----------

$120 is a pretty good price, especially if that includes the bracket and cable they'll need to order from Apple. My local AASP just charged me $50 to order & install an Airport card in a Mac Pro, and installing a new drive in an iMac is a *much* more involved installation.

8. titatom macrumors regular

Hi !
    I am posting here so I don't start a new unuseful thread...sorry for thread jacking ;)

I am on the verge on buying a new iMac. I would love to get the SSD option but Apple is overpricing them (500$ extra is pretty steap)...
    If I understand this correctly, it would be possible to get a SSD installed in a couple of months when prices go down without voiding the warranty by going through an authorized dealer for the installation of the drive ? Do you get to choose the drive they install (I know Apple uses different drives and you depend on luck to get the faster (Samsung?) one) ?

Thank you in advance !

titatom