imac power consumption

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hoechst99, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hoechst99 macrumors newbie

I've recently bought a new 20" iMac, and I got curious about how much electricity it consumes.

Searching Apple's support pages turns up this article:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3559
    which gives numbers for power consumption at idle (59.7 W) and CPU max (87.8 W) for this model. Good first step. But I'm hoping to find some more detailed information. How do those numbers break down between display, CPU, disk, etc.? A practical question is, if the display does to sleep but the CPU is still idling, what then?

Can anyone point me towards more detailed info?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your display is sleeping all components are still running but if you put it to sleep (the whole Mac), only RAM will be on, I think

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I would buy a meter like a Kill-A-Watt for ~$20, plug your Mac into it, then do some tests. Kill the display but keep the system awake, put it to sleep, do a max load for CPU, do disk intensive stuff, finish that all off with a little math and let us know what you find.

4. hoechst99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good suggestion. I guess I was hoping someone had already done such a test, and could share their data with me ;)

I might invest in the meter, because I've got similar questions about a bunch of other devices around the house.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah it would be nice to have one. We have a bunch of servers here at work that I am curious about, since they run 365 days a year and all.