iMac Power Supply, Again!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rackscreams, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Rackscreams macrumors newbie

Rackscreams

Hello,
    Hoping someone here can give a quick answer to this. I have a iMac 20" PPC G5 with a failed Power Supply, I'm pretty sure anyways as this is what happened a few years ago and it was the power supply. Replaced logic board back in 2006. I'm wondering if a power supply from the intel version will work in the PPC version. I'm asking because I can get this for free.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Chad

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

3. Rackscreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Rackscreams

Power Supply

Damn, I thought that might be the answer. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be on the look out for another power supply.

4. Lucianrider macrumors member

I was given two of the 20" imac G5's about 18 months ago that both of the powersupplies were dead. It turns out that the capacitors on these were known to fail and several companies provide replacement kits.

I ordered two from this company: http://www.ifixmaccomputers.com/imac-power-supply-capacitor-repair-kit
    and had an electronics shop replace them. One worked perfectly and is still powering one of the iMacs which I gave to my mother. The other never worked and I could not be bothered to try and get it fixed as I ended up cannibalizing the other iMac to keep my moms going...

The kits are a cheap fix and worth trying out first before buying a new or used powersupply.

5. Grunthaner macrumors member

Lucianrider, or anyone else,
    I have 2 dead power supply's for my iMac G5 20" I saw your post below and wanted to know where I can send my power supplies out to along with the repair kit for them to install? Unless a better power supply can be purchased.
    Thanks for your post and help,
    Linda