Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoisdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
In another thread I was getting some good opinions about whether to get an iMac or refurbished PMac w/ a Dell screen. I think I've made up my mind, unless I can be convinced otherwise,

I'm going to go with the refurbished PowerMac and Dell monitor. I've convinced myself to go with the Power Mac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80G/ SuperDrive/ PCI/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified Refurbished

Dual 1.8 refurbished PowerMac
$1499

and the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor,
Dell 20" Monitor
$525

AppleCare is $250. Should I get that? Is it worth it?

One more thing, will Tiger have any problems running on a refurbished PMac?

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
whoisdan said:
In another thread I was getting some good opinions about whether to get an iMac or refurbished PMac w/ a Dell screen. I think I've made up my mind, unless I can be convinced otherwise,

I'm going to go with the refurbished PowerMac and Dell monitor. I've convinced myself to go with the Power Mac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80G/ SuperDrive/ PCI/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified Refurbished

Dual 1.8 refurbished PowerMac
$1499

and the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor,
Dell 20" Monitor
$525

AppleCare is $250. Should I get that? Is it worth it?

One more thing, will Tiger have any problems running on a refurbished PMac?

Thats a great setup. And no, Tiger will run better on that Mac than almost any other Mac available today.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
There was just another thread a couple days ago saying you could get the monitor for around $460 or something...do a search and find the coupon code.

I bought two of those monitors and they are great. You're going to love your setup. There's a (small) chance you'll get free upgrades with your refurbished. Good luck with that!

whoisdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Nice! I just got the monitor for $436 pre-tax. Shipping was free, so $480 was the total. Not bad at all. Thanks for the tip. I got coupon codes at techbargains.com.

So, do I need to get the $250 AppleCare for the PowerMac?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
whoisdan said:
Nice! I just got the monitor for $436 pre-tax. Shipping was free, so $480 was the total. Not bad at all. Thanks for the tip. I got coupon codes at techbargains.com.

So, do I need to get the $250 AppleCare for the PowerMac?

I would recommend getting AppleCare. It will allow for the full 3 years of phone support. Gives you feeling of confidence. If a problem does come up, it can often more than pay for itself.

I always purchase AppleCare for my Mac.

whoisdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hm. Can get AppleCare a month or two down the line?

Also, where are the best deals for 1GB RAM? Is one 3rd party brand better than an other?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
whoisdan said:
Hm. Can get AppleCare a month or two down the line?

Also, where are the best deals for 1GB RAM? Is one 3rd party brand better than an other?

You should be able to order AppleCare anytime before the included warranty expires. As for RAM, I prefer Crucial memory for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.