Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
California
Hello all, I ordered an iMac Pro with an 18 core configuration back on release day, and my estimated delivery date is still Feb 6 - 20th. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered an 18 (or 14) core variant and had an updated delivery. When I ordered the computer, Apple estimated 4-8 weeks. If it arrived on Feb 2, that would be 8 weeks. I understand that Intel is holding the purchase up with their release of the processors, but still this seems like Apple underestimated the wait time.

I'm in the USA, for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

JBB4

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Hello all, I ordered an iMac Pro with an 18 core configuration back on release day, and my estimated delivery date is still Feb 2 - 20th. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered an 18 (or 14) core variant and had an updated delivery. When I ordered the computer, Apple estimated 4-8 weeks. If it arrived on Feb 2, that would be 8 weeks. I understand that Intel is holding the purchase up with their release of the processors, but still this seems like Apple underestimated the wait time.

Was toying with the idea of posting something similar so you beat me to it! Ordered the 18 core on the 3rd of Jan and it's currently showing "9 Feb - 23 Feb". I'm in the UK. Had a pending charge made against my credit card for a few days but today it's dropped off again.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hello all, I ordered an iMac Pro with an 18 core configuration back on release day, and my estimated delivery date is still Feb 2 - 20th. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered an 18 (or 14) core variant and had an updated delivery. When I ordered the computer, Apple estimated 4-8 weeks. If it arrived on Feb 2, that would be 8 weeks. I understand that Intel is holding the purchase up with their release of the processors, but still this seems like Apple underestimated the wait time.

I ordered the 10-core/128GB RAM/1TB SSD/Vega 64 early on Dec 15, 2017. The order status has not progressed from what is was on Dec 16, 2017, and I have no clue when it's estimated to ship to me. I do wonder what the holdup is. It's kind of annoying as I've already fully paid for the Mac. :(

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
California
I ordered the 10-core/128GB RAM/1TB SSD/Vega 64 early on Dec 15, 2017. The order status has not progressed from what is was on Dec 16, 2017, and I have no clue when it's estimated to ship to me. I do wonder what the holdup is. :(
Really? Your 10 core is being held up? Maybe theres something to be said about the supposed 'global shortage' of DDR4 RAM.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
California
Yea.... my thoughts exactly.... a shortage of the 32GB RAM modules.
Do you have an invoice? My invoice shows my 18 core at "Order In Progress" followed by a delivery date.

Attachments

• Config and Date.jpeg
    Config and Date.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 389

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Do you have an invoice? My invoice shows my 18 core at "Order In Progress" followed by a delivery date.
I placed my order thru my business outlet and I'm not privy to the Apple invoice.... but I've been told my iMac Pro has not moved to its manufacturing state.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've tried discussing this issue with the business Dept, but all they can do is check the order with Apple and they say what I posted earlier. They told me, this is typical of Apple when they release a new computer. I just have to wait or I can cancel the order and be refunded and then order myself directly with Apple Business via my EPP.... but don't really want to do that as I'm sure that will push me even further out for a delivery.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
California
I've tried discussing this issue with the business Dept, but all they can do is check the order with Apple and they say what I posted earlier. They told me, this is typical of Apple when they release a new computer. I just have to wait or I can cancel the order and be refunded and then order myself directly with Apple Business via my EPP.... but don't really want to do that as I'm sure that will push me even further out for a delivery.
Yeah I guess you can just sit tight for a while. Join the club! ;)
In the meantime I'm living vicariously through user reviews on these forums...

JBB4

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I guess you can just sit tight for a while. Join the club! ;)
In the meantime I'm living vicariously through user reviews on these forums...
I too am enjoying reading everyone’s experiences (it’s a bit addictive!) but that’s tempered with those threads detailing some of the issues reported in the forum, can’t win eh?! But I also recall reading that you don’t hear from the majority who are enjoying their new iMac Pros without any problems. I won’t stop reading though

Reactions: SFjohn and OBirder

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
This almost validates my decision not to get one. The waiting might literally kill me. I get way too excited when I order a new toy.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I too am enjoying reading everyone’s experiences (it’s a bit addictive!) but that’s tempered with those threads detailing some of the issues reported in the forum, can’t win eh?! But I also recall reading that you don’t hear from the majority who are enjoying their new iMac Pros without any problems. I won’t stop reading though

I think you are correct. Most are individual cases. What I have seen more common and also my own experience are two things:

1. The boot time is longer than MacBook Pro by 15 to 20 seconds.

2. Direct after reboot/start the keyboard is laggy and may miss a character when you enter your password. After 5 or so seconds all is fine. Might be solved with a software update.

How often a day do you reboot and miss 25 seconds?

Personally I only have one thing left that irritates me:
When I have keyboard, trackpad, mouse and my AirPods connected via Bluetooth then have dropouts on the AirPods. If I turn off either keyboard or trackpad it seems to be fine. Seems to be fixable with software.
Mostly I have the AirPods connected to my phone anyway.

While I have these minor things in the overall perspective, at the end I love my Pro.

The speed is a joy with no noticeable slow down doing things in parallel (e.g. rendering and editing).

It’s the quietest computer since my 1982 Commodore 64 and beats the keyboard noise of that comparison - wow what a journey it was ...
As a matter of fact it’s so quiet that it concerned me at the beginning. Rendering, activity monitor shows all 20 threads busy and I barely can’t hear anything. Did Apple screwed it up and my fans are not working and the CPU will go up in flames? Am I getting deaf?
The answer is: Apple nailed it! - ok we may need to wait 3 years to be sure on the long run.

It just looks sleek!

Was it an investment. Yes. But no regrets here so far. That’s all it matters in the discussion nMP, 8, 10 or 18 cores ...

I am sure you know why you are getting the 18 core and I will forecast that you will not be disappointed and will love it.

Good luck to all in exercising patience!

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Hello all, I ordered an iMac Pro with an 18 core configuration back on release day, and my estimated delivery date is still Feb 6 - 20th. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered an 18 (or 14) core variant and had an updated delivery. When I ordered the computer, Apple estimated 4-8 weeks. If it arrived on Feb 2, that would be 8 weeks. I understand that Intel is holding the purchase up with their release of the processors, but still this seems like Apple underestimated the wait time.

I am a bit jaleous.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I ordered the 10-core/128GB RAM/1TB SSD/Vega 64 early on Dec 15, 2017. The order status has not progressed from what is was on Dec 16, 2017, and I have no clue when it's estimated to ship to me. I do wonder what the holdup is. It's kind of annoying as I've already fully paid for the Mac. :(
FWIW:
That configuration is in-stock at B&H ready for ship on Monday.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1380933-REG/apple_z_10c12_bh_27_imac_pro_with.html

No personal affiliation ... just a satisfied customer.

Check the return policy however before purchasing.

JBB4

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
I think you are correct. Most are individual cases. What I have seen more common and also my own experience are two things:

1. The boot time is longer than MacBook Pro by 15 to 20 seconds.

2. Direct after reboot/start the keyboard is laggy and may miss a character when you enter your password. After 5 or so seconds all is fine. Might be solved with a software update.

How often a day do you reboot and miss 25 seconds?

Personally I only have one thing left that irritates me:
When I have keyboard, trackpad, mouse and my AirPods connected via Bluetooth then have dropouts on the AirPods. If I turn off either keyboard or trackpad it seems to be fine. Seems to be fixable with software.
Mostly I have the AirPods connected to my phone anyway.

While I have these minor things in the overall perspective, at the end I love my Pro.

The speed is a joy with no noticeable slow down doing things in parallel (e.g. rendering and editing).

It’s the quietest computer since my 1982 Commodore 64 and beats the keyboard noise of that comparison - wow what a journey it was ...
As a matter of fact it’s so quiet that it concerned me at the beginning. Rendering, activity monitor shows all 20 threads busy and I barely can’t hear anything. Did Apple screwed it up and my fans are not working and the CPU will go up in flames? Am I getting deaf?
The answer is: Apple nailed it! - ok we may need to wait 3 years to be sure on the long run.

It just looks sleek!

Was it an investment. Yes. But no regrets here so far. That’s all it matters in the discussion nMP, 8, 10 or 18 cores ...

I am sure you know why you are getting the 18 core and I will forecast that you will not be disappointed and will love it.

Good luck to all in exercising patience!
Thanks for your observations OBirder, good to know what/maybe to expect. And whilst it's really interesting to read about the issues/oddities/call them what you will, reading comments like yours affirms my decision to place my order and makes me that much more excited LOL.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
FWIW:
That configuration is in-stock at B&H ready for ship on Monday.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1380933-REG/apple_z_10c12_bh_27_imac_pro_with.html

No personal affiliation ... just a satisfied customer.

Check the return policy however before purchasing.

Thanks for that info.

Today I cancelled my 10-core order with my remote business partner who is an Authorize Premier Apple reseller as they still have no progress on my order or when it might arrive. They will give me a refund without issues.

So today I ordered from B&H the exact 10-core config I wanted and it will be at my doorstep tomorrow. I did call them to be assured it was in-stock as stated on their website and was told it was.

No more waiting thank goodness. We/me need this computer for the office ASAP as well as for my CFD consulting business. The cost of this iMac Pro is shared between myself, my son's video/editing office and the occasional rental business we offer.

Here's my brief background for choosing the iMac Pro (and I purposely kept it short and minimized the technical stuff).

=============

Here's my take on comparing my MP6,1 vs. the iMac Pro for my typical work

This post is likely to be of little interest to people here who do not work with scientific codes such as my CFD codes. However, I'd like to post for the record what my expectations are for going from using my late 2013 MP6,1 (6-core/1TB SSD/32GB RAM/Dual D500s) and my soon to arrive iMac Pro (10-core/1TB SSD/128GB RAM/Vega 64).

First, let me preface my comments here saying I'm a huge fan of high-performance computing and have been in this area of computing for some 50 years starting back in the UK and then moving over to the USA working for aerospace companies.

I will attempt to modulate my enthusiasm (for the iMac Pro that is... ) and keep the post short and without too much technical detail.

Best bang-for-the buck (so to speak)
I configured my iMac Pro to be one in the middle of the line-up knowing that my code's scaling with Processor cores is not linear and can level off with increasing cores. My goal was to achieve at least a 2x improvement compared to my MP6,1 and hopefully as much as 3x after some code tuning and optimizations to make use of larger processor caches and the Intel's vector processing. With this in mind I configured the iMac Pro as stated above.

Choosing between performance and visualization
I have to deal with aerodynamic shapes that can have 1000s of triangles. For this reason I went for the Vega 64 graphics along with the 10-core and the standard high-res display for the iMac Pro. I'm expecting at least a 1.6x performance improvement for doing this work vs. my MP6,1.

Running my CFD code
Currently my CFD code can take many days to complete. This is primarily restrained by the number of Processor cores I can employ. To some extent I share my Mac hardware with my son's office and Mac rental business and both help defer some of my personal expenditures. The one hardware resource that restricts the complexity of what I can do is memory size (RAM).

Use of Processor multi-cores
Flow simulation can benefit from parallel processing. Although I have yet to run my code on the iMac Pro, I'm expecting from my readings and research of other CFD users that have their iMac Pros already, is to obtain at least a 1.8x improvement in wall clock times vs. my current MP6,1. Of course having 10 cores vs. 6 cores is some of this expected improvement.

Code Development
My primary heavy-lifting and time consuming code development/tuning only happens when I upgrade from one computer to the next. When doing code developing it can take weeks. The iMac Pro will speed this effort along nicely.

Use of the AVX-512 Vector Processing
A big bonus for the iMac Pro is the ability for using the vector hardware.

Last edited:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for that info.

Today I cancelled my 10-core order with my remote business partner who is an Authorize Premier Apple reseller as they still have no progress on my order or when it might arrive. They will give me a refund without issues.

So today I ordered from B&H the exact 10-core config I wanted and it will be at my doorstep tomorrow. I did call them to be assured it was in-stock as stated on their website and was told it was.

No more waiting thank goodness. We/me need this computer for the office ASAP as well as for my CFD consulting business. The cost of this iMac Pro is shared between myself, my son's video/editing office and the occasional rental business we offer.

Here's my brief background for choosing the iMac Pro (and I purposely kept it short and minimized the technical stuff).

=============

This post is likely to be of little interest to people here who do not work with scientific codes such as my CFD codes. However, I'd like to post for the record what my expectations are for going from using my late 2013 MP6,1 (6-core/1TB SSD/32GB RAM/Dual D500s) and my soon to arrive iMac Pro (10-core/1TB SSD/128GB RAM/Vega 64).

First, let me preface my comments here saying I'm a huge fan of high-performance computing and have been in this area of computing for some 50 years starting back in the UK and then moving over to the USA working for aerospace companies.

I will attempt to modulate my enthusiasm (for the iMac Pro that is... ) and keep the post short and without too much technical detail.

I configured my iMac Pro to be one in the middle of the line-up knowing that my code's scaling with Processor cores is not linear and can level off with increasing cores. My goal was to achieve at least a 2x improvement compared to my MP6,1 and hopefully as much as 3x after some code tuning and optimizations to make use of larger L3 cache and the Intel's AVX-512 vector processing. With this in mind I configured the iMac Pro as stated above.

I have to deal with complex 3D datasets such as viewing surface meshes for aerodynamic shapes that can have several 1000s of triangles. Meshing 3D shapes is akin to what Game developers are faced with and for me it's important to accurately view these meshed shapes as well as for creating them. For this reason I went for the Vega 64 graphics along with the 10-core and the standard high-res display for the iMac Pro. I'm expecting at least a 1.6x performance improvement for doing this work vs. my MP6,1.

Running my CFD code
Currently my CFD code for numerical simulation can take many days and even a week or two to complete. This is primarily restrained by the number of Processor cores I can employ. I don't have access to large compute clusters with 1000s of cores, nor do I have the money to pay for such access, so I'm left with whatever I can afford for my home and local son's office which does video/editing projects. To some extent I share my Mac hardware with my son's office and Mac rental business and both help defer some of my personal expenditures. The one hardware resource that restricts the complexity of what I can do is memory size (RAM). For this reason I maxed out the RAM to 128 GB for the iMac Pro.

For aerodynamic flow simulation, unlike for mesh creation, the simulation can benefit from parallel processing. Although I have yet to run my code on the iMac Pro, I'm expecting from my readings and research of other CFD users that have their iMac Pros already, is to obtain at least a 1.8x improvement in wall clock times vs. my current MP6,1. Of course having 10 cores vs. 6 cores is some of this expected improvement.

Code Development
My primary heavy-lifting and time consuming code development/tuning only happens when I upgrade from one computer to the next. I anticipate having to revisit my code for tuning it for use on the iMac Pro hardware for several reasons; larger L3 cache, more cores, more RAM and most importantly the Intel's AVX-512 vector processing feature. When doing code developing it can take 100s or even 1000s of code compilations over several days or weeks. The iMac Pro will speed this effort along nicely; the extra cores on the iMac Pro will most certainly speed up this repetitive code development/tuning effort.

A big bonus for the iMac Pro is the ability for using the vector hardware, much like was available to Mac users with the AltiVec on PowerMac G4 and G5 towers. Making use of this hardware will mean using and exploring the Intel compiler optimization options as I'm sure they will accurately detect any of my code kernels for auto vectorization. In theory one can expect close to an order of magnitude from vectorization, but in practice this falls off because of unexpected spills from the L3 cache to memory (RAM) and whether one is using double or single precision data to be around 5x.

There's also some mention I've read that indicates Apple's Accelerate framework has undergone some revisions to benefit from the Intel AVX-512 hardware.

High-end iMac vs. the iMac Pro
I haven't got very far with this comparison, but I'm reading that the 2017 iMac with 4.2 GHz 4-core i7 processor even with having a higher/faster single core to the iMac Pro 10-core model, that beyond 4 core use and on up to 10 cores the iMac Pro out performs the 2017 iMac easily. Part of this I'm sure is related to the extra effort Apple has gone to for cooling the iMac Pro sufficiently to avoid too much core frequency throttling. Add to this the benefit of the Intel AVX-512 hardware, the extra RAM of 128 GB, then the iMac Pro should perform very well and provide greater capability for solving more complex CFD problems and all this IMO supports the extra expense that the iMac Pro commands.

That was a great read! And congrats on the inbound delivery!

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
California
Thanks for that info.

=============

I configured my iMac Pro to be one in the middle of the line-up knowing that my code's scaling with Processor cores is not linear and can level off with increasing cores. My goal was to achieve at least a 2x improvement compared to my MP6,1 and hopefully as much as 3x after some code tuning and optimizations to make use of larger L3 cache and the Intel's AVX-512 vector processing. With this in mind I configured the iMac Pro as stated above.

I have to deal with complex 3D datasets such as viewing surface meshes for aerodynamic shapes that can have several 1000s of triangles. Meshing 3D shapes is akin to what Game developers are faced with and for me it's important to accurately view these meshed shapes as well as for creating them. For this reason I went for the Vega 64 graphics along with the 10-core and the standard high-res display for the iMac Pro. I'm expecting at least a 1.6x performance improvement for doing this work vs. my MP6,1.

Running my CFD code
Currently my CFD code for numerical simulation can take many days and even a week or two to complete. This is primarily restrained by the number of Processor cores I can employ. I don't have access to large compute clusters with 1000s of cores, nor do I have the money to pay for such access, so I'm left with whatever I can afford for my home and local son's office which does video/editing projects. To some extent I share my Mac hardware with my son's office and Mac rental business and both help defer some of my personal expenditures. The one hardware resource that restricts the complexity of what I can do is memory size (RAM). For this reason I maxed out the RAM to 128 GB for the iMac Pro.

For aerodynamic flow simulation, unlike for mesh creation, the simulation can benefit from parallel processing. Although I have yet to run my code on the iMac Pro, I'm expecting from my readings and research of other CFD users that have their iMac Pros already, is to obtain at least a 1.8x improvement in wall clock times vs. my current MP6,1. Of course having 10 cores vs. 6 cores is some of this expected improvement.

Code Development
My primary heavy-lifting and time consuming code development/tuning only happens when I upgrade from one computer to the next. I anticipate having to revisit my code for tuning it for use on the iMac Pro hardware for several reasons; larger L3 cache, more cores, more RAM and most importantly the Intel's AVX-512 vector processing feature. When doing code developing it can take 100s or even 1000s of code compilations over several days or weeks. The iMac Pro will speed this effort along nicely; the extra cores on the iMac Pro will most certainly speed up this repetitive code development/tuning effort.

A big bonus for the iMac Pro is the ability for using the vector hardware, much like was available to Mac users with the AltiVec on PowerMac G4 and G5 towers. Making use of this hardware will mean using and exploring the Intel compiler optimization options as I'm sure they will accurately detect any of my code kernels for auto vectorization. In theory one can expect close to an order of magnitude from vectorization, but in practice this falls off to be around 5x because of unexpected spills from the L3 cache to memory (RAM) and whether one is using double or single precision data.

There's also some mention I've read that indicates Apple's Accelerate framework has undergone some revisions to benefit from the Intel AVX-512 hardware.

High-end iMac vs. the iMac Pro
I haven't got very far with this comparison, but I'm reading that the 2017 iMac with 4.2 GHz 4-core i7 processor even with having a higher/faster single core to the iMac Pro 10-core model, that beyond 4 core use and on up to 10 cores the iMac Pro out performs the 2017 iMac easily. Part of this I'm sure is related to the extra effort Apple has gone to for cooling the iMac Pro sufficiently to avoid too much core frequency throttling. Add to this the benefit of the Intel AVX-512 hardware, the extra RAM of 128 GB, then the iMac Pro should perform very well and provide greater capability for solving more complex CFD problems and all this IMO supports the extra expense that the iMac Pro commands.

As it happens, my dad was considering the iMac Pro for CFD work. I suggested he read your comments, congrats on the upcoming computer - let us know how it works for you.

Down nUnder on release date last month anticipated delivery for 18 core was the end of next month ~ at the earliest!

Sheesh, I never would've thought that 3 months after paying for a computer you'd finally get it. Brutal.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
As it happens, my dad was considering the iMac Pro for CFD work. I suggested he read your comments, congrats on the upcoming computer - let us know how it works for you.

...snip...

I received my iMac Pro earlier than what UPS stated. It came at 11:25 am instead of the window 12:45 pm to 4:45 pm. Thank goodness I had not popped out thinking it would arrive later in PM.

Setup was a breeze. The KB is awesome and I really like the way the keys respond to typing.

I quickly updated since MAS stated there was an update so now running Build 17C2205.

I will be running the Mac without migrating any of my user data over for a few days just to make sure the stock macOS is stable etc.

I did run a quick single load at 100% and the core frequency held at a steady 4.3 GHz. I was pleased with this. I suspect it would goto max Turbo Boost of 4.5 GHz if I were to disable all cores except for one and run it at 100%.

A quick run using all 10 cores at 100% for 30 mins which pushed the temperature up to around a steady 90ºC and no evidence of fan noise at all.... absolutely dead-quiet. :) Evidence that :apple: did well with the cooling design.

Hmmmm, with 128 GB RAM installed the kernel_task has grabbed some 4.42 GB.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I received my iMac Pro earlier than what UPS stated. It came at 11:25 am instead of the window 12:45 pm to 4:45 pm. Thank goodness I had not popped out thinking it would arrive later in PM.
Congratulations! I'm glad you finally got it.
I did run a quick single load at 100% and the core frequency held at a steady 4.3 GHz. I was pleased with this. I suspect it would goto max Turbo Boost of 4.5 GHz if I were to disable all cores except for one and run it at 100%.
Will you do that? I haven't yet seen a report of anyone doing the test to demonstrate that it will run at 4.5 GHz. Also, if you have a little spare time would you perhaps run this little test? Thanks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/encoding-with-handbrake-2017-imac.2089925/page-2#post-25686799

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.