iMac Pro @ $1k discount for base model...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jmgregory1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Just saw that Microcenter is offering the base model iMac Pro for $3999 (in-store only), for those who want one but don't want to pay list price.

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

3. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I can imagine sales for the iMac Pro being VERY low so I’m not surprised. Didn’t expect 20% off deals to start only 2 weeks after launch though, damn...

4. pl1984 macrumors 68000

I agree...20% off on a product that was just made available slightly over a month ago seems unusual. I wonder what impact this may have on the mMP pricing.

5. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if the demand is very low for the iMac Pro it might result in a lower priced MP or no MP at all...

6. kennyman macrumors 6502

Thank you, this is a Mac Pro forum, dedicated to Mac Pro (not iMac Pro).

7. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

True, but it could have significant repercussions for the promised Mac Pro.

8. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Bodes well for a reasonably priced entry level configuration. There's no need for a single slow CPU, slow GPU, small storage configuration to cost an arm and a leg.

9. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I’d actually be on board with this if this becomes the de facto price. While practically free to upgrade, I know my 4,1 can only go so far in terms of what OSes and software and I have a horrible feeling the new MP will be over the $5k mark.

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Not even a month! It became available to order on the 14th of December, and didn't even hit actual retail shelves until the end of December.

11. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

It will be interesting if other resellers follow suit. One reseller doing an in-store-only sale might be a "foot traffic" stunt.

If other, and online, stores do the same it could mean that they have a lot of inventory that is not moving.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2018 ---
    Slightly *under* a month - today is the 13th of January.

12. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Does the iMac Pro increase the electrical bill as much as the Mac Pro? Might come as a surprise to people used to the regular iMac or Mac mini.

13. Mago macrumors 68020

... at 4000$ I dont believe it will be so effective as "foot traffic" stunt.

There is also even bigger discount for the MBP (700$ off on a 2700$ model), maybe some retailers over stock and didn't sell on time (Xmas) and now they are on hurry to pay the loans, so they are burning quick the biggest offenders.

But whatever, its meaningful a 20% discount in a flagship just launched product, its like selling the iPhone X at 800$.

14. mattspace macrumors 6502a

mattspace

gotta wonder if the relative non-upgradability means people are skewing towards higher configs just to get the RAM, which Apple always under-provisions.

15. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

The Microcenter in Denver shows 6 (!) iMac Pros in stock - that strikes me as a lot.

Would you rather have a MP 6,1 for $3999.99 or an iMac Pro?

16. frou macrumors 6502

frou

iMac Pro obviously. No chance I'd spend 4 grand on something with less single-core performance than the iPhone.