iMac PRO and Obduction game

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vanman1, May 12, 2018.

1. vanman1 macrumors newbie

Stock base iMac Pro and game from Apple store. Was slow to use seed/swap devices but ok in windowed mode. Tried fullscreen and it's glourious to look at but now stalls, freezes runs slow. Cannot get it back into window mode. Cannot believe that with this much power a game like this brings my new baby to it's knees?? Once it started making noise !!! First time I have heard the fans . Put my hand behind to feel the air comming out and it was real warm. Switched to finder and wait and the fans did spin down. How in the world can this play a first person shooter type game ?? Is something wrong with mine or is this normal??

BTW old mach is a dual G-4 bought on 03/02/2002 still runs :) 10.2/OS9
    John

2. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

Which settings are you running this game under, and do you have VSync activated?

3. vanman1, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

vanman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Char shadow off
    Audio qual high
    size 2560x1440
    screen set windowed *
    V Sync off
    Quality preset low
    all else on that list is set to med
    texture memory 50%
    Resolution scale 106
    field of view 94
    motion blur .246
    Invert Y axis off
    trans type smooth
    free roam
    node vis middle

*was playing in a window switched to fullscreen cannot get it back to a window
    Think most of this is the default as I don't know what most of this actually means.
    E-mailed the DEV and was told to ask here, "game not tested on such a new machine"???
    TIA
    John

4. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

Turn on VSync and try again :) Should work wonders regarding the temperature in your iMac!

5. vanman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I had tried that before but often changes made in settings do not really change every time. I made V-sync on to stay , and this really helps.
    Activity monitor shows game using 5-6 G of ram. Any way to put the whole game in ram?? This would help with the pauses I think. In the old days you could make a ram disk, any way to do that now??

6. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

I guess you‘d need to install a program to create a RAM disk and install the game there every time you reboot the machine - not worth it IMHO.

7. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

My guess is either:
    Not fully optimized graphics drivers, and/or
    Sub-optimal port of the game. (Since it's in the app store I'm guessing it's native, but for an example of just how bad it can be, The Witcher's Mac version was basically the Windows game bundled with Wine... which isn't a Mac version at all.) Probably not much to do but to wait for operating system updates and game patches.