iMac Pro Base Model Teardown Reveals 2x SSD RAID Configuration and Four 8GB DIMM Modules

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. monoton macrumors newbie

Right...

It seems apple charges the same to upgrade it (from standard hardware to upgraded) when configuring the system as it would cost from the original source for just the hardware you want.

They charge about $2500 to upgrade to the 18 core, which intel sells for about the same price to end customers. However when apple does this it is just an upgrade from the 8-core already there....

Wonder what the price of the cheapest 128GB ECC DDR4 memory is now.. (4x32GB).

2. shaunymac macrumors 6502

As someone who just had to get back into my iMac because of a failed SSD, I couldn't agree more.

I have used the suction cups in the past but this time I didn't have one around, I helped someone with a broken window regulator. I still haven't gotten that suction cup back. Hmm. Anyways, I was able to get into my iMac with just my fingers. To me, that's hard to beat.

3. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yup, such a simple elegant solution magnets were, shame Apple decided to make it more difficult soon thereafter and glues about everything nowadays.

4. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I've had RAID 0 for almost 6 years now on my 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Server. Risky? No. It's called keeping a BACKUP on an external regular drive (personally I use CCC so it's bootable). What's risky is not having any backup regardless of whether you have two RAID 0 drives or one regular drive.... Oh and no drive failures on the RAID volumes in 6 years now either.

It's almost absurd how many people are pooing their use in this iMac Pro. I agree 100% it's what they should have (and did) use. MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE is PARAMOUNT in any truly professional rig. Backups are just as easy to do for RAID 0 as a regular single drive. I bought an 8TB drive last year for $130. Backing up the internal 2TB doesn't cost very much AT ALL. Backing up this iMac Pro's 1TB equivalent drive would cost under $50 with a single drive or less than $20 as a partition on a larger drive.

5. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

Hello. I have a similar configuration to yours (MacMini6,2 quad server with dual SSDs in RAID) and I’ve been facing dreadful problems since I swapped out my drives for bigger (2TB each) units and tried to reload High Sierra. Do you know if High Sierra will now support booting of a RAID array formatted to be a single APFS volume?

6. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

now there's proof (iFixit iMac Pro Teardown).
    the SSDs are Apple's own design.

XwHocaMVxBVJANv4.huge.jpeg

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

One less item they need to purchase from Sansung. I expect these to become standard across the Mac lineup.

8. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I'm still using El Capitain so I'm not sure about High Sierra. I've actually been thinking of moving to a single SSD 1TB plus a 4TB rotating drive for the other bay so I can use Windows (for a few games not available for the Mac) as you can't dual-boot a RAID drive. A single SSD would be faster than the RAID 0 rotating config, especially for random access and they make 4TB 2.5" drives now so I could have 5TB internal total and the extra boot speed would make the computer almost like new again (it's still plenty fast when compared to a 2-core i5 today for most tasks CPU wise, although the GPU is terribly out of date). I was hoping Apple would release a new (usable) Mac Mini or something comparable to the Mini server, but it's looking more and more like I'll need an iMac. Sadly, they are very expensive with a 1TB SSD and a decent GPU. I got the Quad i7 Mac Mini Server for $1100 brand new in 2012 with 2TB internal RAID 0 and 8GB of ram at the time. There's nothing comparable in Apple's lineup now.

9. gctwnl macrumors regular

gctwnl

With the dual SSD in a RAID config, will it do FileVault Encryption? I recall that having a RAID and doing FileVault is mutually exclusive.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes the iMac Pro SSD supports FileVault and it's handled by the T2 chip so there is no impact on CPU performance.

11. killermike2178, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

killermike2178 macrumors newbie

What a joke! Why not just solder the special SSDs on the board if they don't want us using two Samsung 960 Pros?

"Hey, look, it's modularity...on an extremely short leash! Will you buy our overpriced product that's inferior to the competition yet?"

Reminds me of that Family Guy joke:

*Peter turns on TV*
    Announcer: "We now return to Showgirls..."
    Peter: *Excited* "Yay!"
    Announcer: "...on TBS."
    Peter: *Disappointed* "Awww."

Guess I'm doing a Threadripper build instead...