Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be on the verge of discontinuing the iMac Pro, with the store page for the high-end all-in-one Mac including a "While supplies last" tagline and only the base model with no custom configurations available for purchase.

imac-pro-while-supplies-last.jpg

The iMac Pro launched in December 2017, and while there have been a few tweaks to the available configurations over the years, it has received no substantial hardware updates over its lifetime. As a result, we have been recommending for some time that users not purchase the iMac Pro as a high-end standard iMac currently offers a better value.

There have been a few rumors of an updated iMac Pro over the years, including from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo almost exactly one year ago.

It's unclear whether the iMac Pro is being discontinued entirely or if Apple is selling through existing stock in advance of an update, but the unusual note about dwindling supplies suggests that the machine may indeed be on the verge of complete discontinuation. If an updated version is coming, it appears it may not be ready to launch for some time yet and there may be a gap in availability once the current model sells out.

(Thanks, Ben!)

Article Link: iMac Pro No Longer Custom Configurable, Available 'While Supplies Last'

anshuvorty

macrumors 68030
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I did say this some time ago and even when the iMac Pro was first announced....this product is/was a stop-gap for the redesigned Mac Pro...to fill the "Pro"/"Enthusiast" niche....this is just adding more fuel to the fire/adding more evidence to the fact that this is going to become an obsolete/discontinued product in the pretty near future....

Adding to the fire is also the evidence that Mark Gurman claims that a "mini Mac Pro" is in the works as well....there is just no room for a workstation-class machine that isn't modular as well in Apple's desktop Macs....

ian87w

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Not shocking.

I’m pretty sure that most of the people who need that powerful of a machine and are willing to spend that much money also want it to be upgradable.
More like the machine was not intended to be a permanent lineup in the first place, but to satisfy the needs of some pros prior to the introduction of the current Mac Pro, and post trach can Mac Pro.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
More like the machine was not intended to be a permanent lineup in the first place, but to satisfy the needs of some pros prior to the introduction of the current Mac Pro, and post trach can Mac Pro.

This...

And it looks like mine will last me at least a few more years since it is still doing excellent at what I bought it for. upgradable or not it remains one of the best computer purchases I have made for my business.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

I’m pretty sure that most of the people who need that powerful of a machine and are willing to spend that much money also want it to be upgradable.

I'm not at all interested in messing with a systems innards to do upgrades.

Given the age of it...It's almost highway robbery to still sell that at full retail price.

you can configure the "regular" iMac to be equal or better in every spec for $900 less - other than only having 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of 4.

When it was available the 18 core iMac Pro had equivalent cpu performance to the 16 core Mac Pro, but with the included monitor it cost thousands less.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Keep in mind the cooling is also superior in the iMac Pro. It doesn’t sound like apple
Silicon needs such powerful cooling. I hope this means we’ll see new machines soon, but it could just be that it’s EOL with no replacement. I’d imagine an Apple silicon iMac would run circles around the iMac Pro, but there haven’t been any reliable leaks yet, so it’s all unknown.

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
This could mean we might be getting new iMacs very soon!

Considering that M1 on Mac Mini can power up to two displays (6k + 4k), I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't release M1X equipped iMac 24" and 27" (or 32") at the same time. Surely that same chip with more cores can handle both resolutions with ease and still be super powerful. It would also make more sense to ship both sizes at the same time and be done with the whole iMac transition to Apple silicon. Just updating 24" and leaving 27" untouched will just create bad optics as who would then want an old 27" Intel iMac which might show in tests to be slower than its smaller sibling?

I think the main reason why Apple is getting rid-off iMac Pro is that it was a temporary "filler product" for Mac Pro and now that transition is finally coming to an end. Since the new M1X chip might well even challenge iMac Pro on many specs (it already challenges maxed up 2020 27" iMac), it makes no point for Apple to continue to sell it as it will soon look such a dreadful value for money. I mean it already is!

But selling that base model still for 4999 is pure robbery.

mattspace

macrumors 68020
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Somewhere in a blinding all-white Apple Design Studio in 2014:

"Some people are saying they don't need, or want to pay for dual GPUs in a Pro Mac."
"Other people are demanding to know when we're going to make a 5k display for their Pro Macs!"
"Eureka!"

Somewhere in a praise-for-access-dependent-to-pay-the-mortgage Apple-Centric News producer:

"It's like chocolate, combined with peanut butter"

Somewhere in a Mac Pro aficionado forum:

"So only one soldered GPU, and no choice of display?"
"This is cat sick, combined with dog turd."

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah, you can configure the "regular" iMac to be equal or better in every spec for $900 less - other than only having 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of 4.

Also, the iMac Pro can't run the 6K display‽ While the iMac with Radeon 5700 can run *TWO* of them?!

If I am not wrong, it’s because of the intel processor in the newer Macs that have support for the 6k display. The iMac Pro, with its older processor, doesn’t get said benefit.

Reactions: Captain Trips

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
One explanation of the massive performance increase of the M1 is the SOC - cpu, memory and gpu all on one chip.

What will Apple do for the Pro systems on ARM? Adding the cores (28?) may be feasible on the SOC, but

1. How will they support up to 1.5 TB of memory?

2. How will they support the performance equivalent of 2 graphics cards, 64 GB each?

It seems that these will have to be separate modules.

Now there is a gap between the iMac and the Mac Pro with the iMac Pro high end configurations gone. I hope it doesn't take a year to fill the gap.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
A future iMac Pro could appear when they have The Next Generation of über Apple Silicon processors ready to go.

Also, software optimizations (for pro software nativized for Apple chips) need to catch up. Otherwise what's the point? Using a high end expensive machine to surf the web is a stupid use of such hardware.

So the "next pro" might not appear until maybe next year. Meanwhile they gonna burn through their existing inventory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.