Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have temporarily sold out of the iMac Pro just two days after the Cupertino company confirmed that the iMac Pro has been discontinued and will only be available "while supplies last."

iMac-Pro-Alert-Feature.jpg

The iMac Pro is now listed as "Currently Unavailable" in the Apple Online Store in the United States and Canada, which suggests available supply is running low.

imac-pro-currently-unavailable.jpg

"Currently Unavailable" can sometimes see a product come back in stock, so the iMac Pro may not be sold out for good at this time. The machine is still available in Europe and Asia-Pacific, for example, with two to three week shipping estimates.

Though the iMac Pro may not yet be gone at this point, the unavailable status confirms that there are not a limited number of the machines available for purchase, so those who want to pick one up before they're discontinued should do so soon. Apple is selling the iMac Pro for $4,999. It includes a 3.0GHz 10-core Xeon Intel W processor, 32GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 56 GPU.

The iMac Pro was first released in December 2017 and has not received any significant updates since its debut. Apple recommends that people interested in a powerful desktop machine choose the 27-inch iMac that was introduced in August, or the 2019 Mac Pro.

Apple is rumored to be working on a redesigned version of the iMac with slimmer bezels and a design similar to the Pro Display XDR, plus an Apple silicon chip, with that machine set to be introduced sometime in 2021.

Update: The iMac Pro is back in stock for the time being, though it could soon disappear permanently.

Article Link: iMac Pro Now Listed as 'Currently Unavailable' in U.S. and Canada [Update: Back in Stock]

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
It was a great computer, and I loved the quietness of it.
Overall the best mac I have used for day to day use - it was just too limited as an AIO as my main computer [was good for 75% of my work] so it had to go.

Reactions: Substance90

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I sure hope the redesign includes a modern aspect ratio.

I really hope not (in terms of a redesigned iMac Pro), even with the improved thermals I'm not sure a "pro" level machine can or should be in an AIO format. I really wish they would just do away with the format completely and give us a wider range of mini's for normal use, the pro for pros and enthusiasts and monitors that resemble the iMac, but no chin.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Substance90

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
One of my friends has use of an iMac Pro...supplied by a corporate employer....full blown like $12k fastest processor, maxed out RAM, graphics and SSD storage..

Reactions: DeepIn2U

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
I really hope not (in terms of a redesigned iMac Pro), even with the improved thermals I'm not sure a "pro" level machine can or should be in an AIO format. I really wish they would just do away with the format completely and give us a wider range of mini's for normal use, the pro for pros and enthusiasts and monitors that resemble the iMac, but no chin.
I doubt that's happening too. Too much money has gone into developing monitor tech from Apple's side, they'd be blowing away money if they stayed with just Minis. Just the uptick in price for an iMac that displays "to the best of Apple's potential" would be enough to fund them and then some. Mac minis are really more like an entry way that Apple intentionally hobbles so you can go up the chain.

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Of only there was something newer and cheaper and better but with a different logo still available. Dang.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Had one for about a year, beautiful machine.. notice how many people have gotten rid of theirs, mostly based on lack of upgradability. Wish Apple would take notice how wasteful their designs can be.

I tried to get more power for cpu rendering by taking control of the fans but then it got super loud and I couldn’t stand to think about dust build up. When pro res finally came to Adobe on the PC I had to bail. But it sure looked great on my desktop.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I suspect in a decade the last ones sold will turn up on eBay 'new in box' for more than they cost today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.