IMac Pro OSX Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rangi19, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Rangi19 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping you guys can help me with this.

I have an IMac Pro that I replaced the HD for my girlfriend. She lost all the data on the HD. She had no OS that came with the machine.

I bought Snow Leopard v10.6.7 and tried to load it on this machine. It comes up with an error message, "Mac OSX can't be installed on this machine."

Do I have the wrong OS? If so, which version came with this machine?
    S/N W8940KPX5PC Model A1311 Purchased in 2010 but is a 2009 model.

Next question. Where would I get a copy of the right OS?
    I see they have Snow Leopard OS installation DVD's for sale at the Apple Store, but I am not sure whether it is the original OS.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That model is a Late 2009 iMac. It is capable of running from OS X 10.6.1 through the latest version of OS X.

If you buy a Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) disc from Apple now, it will be the latest version. If you buy it from another store, it might be an original (10.6.0) which won't work on that model; or it might be a model-locked version (like for a MacBook.)

If you live near an Apple Store, you can bring it there and ask for their help.

3. Rangi19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried calling the Apple Support, but they want $29.00 just answer the phone.

I may go for a trip to the Apple Store and buy the newest version of Snow Leopard. I'll throw another $20.00 at it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Mike.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I downloaded Yosemite, followed the directions to make a USB flash drive installer, and used that to update my spare machine.

It was an older iMac (2007) than the one you are working on, so it should work.

5. Rangi19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I might try that too. That's another option I can take.
    I really don't know bugger all about IMac's, but I'm about to get knee deep in it. It can't be too hard if some little Chinese fella can do it.

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502