iMac Pro, still worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eriksonc, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eriksonc macrumors newbie

Is the base model iMac Pro a good deal at $3849? I've been waiting on an iMac refresh like everyone else but this seemed like a good deal rather than wait another few months.

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

A similarly configured iMac is $3699, and lacks the higher grade componentry of the Pro.

For the extra $150, I know which one I'd choose, even if the Pro is used.

3. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Is that new?? I'd buy one too at that price today.

4. Sidetrackedd macrumors newbie

Yes please share. I will buy one ASAP!

5. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus

For that price, it's absolutely great! Being in Europe, I would go for it in an instance.

6. Peter_M, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

Peter_M macrumors regular

iMac Pro is still worth it. Aside from better CPU, speakers, web camera+mic, cooling/less noise, you also get a much more powerful GPU. Also, with the latest Adrenaline drivers, the Vega GPU is running surprisingly cool. I believe there is some kind of bug in the official Apple (and earlier Adrenaline) drivers making the Vega Pro run unnecessarily hot, as the recent Adrenaline drivers produce far less heat - huge difference. Very happy with my iMac Pro!

7. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

There is no indication that this will happen in a few months.

8. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

The iMac Pro probably will not receive a refresh until late 2019 at the soonest. Probably not until 2020.

9. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

I agree. Can't see it happening till after the Mac Pro. They may possibly wait till they have ditched Intel.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Unless you can "write it off for business use", the iMac Pro was never really "worth it".

Of course, if one had the $$$, owning one was great for bragging rights .... ! ;)

11. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Hey man, just because you're not the one running 15 VMs simultaneously, doesn't mean that others don't have use cases that require as many CPU cores and as much RAM as they can possibly get their hands on. Developers, security professionals, and many, many other professionals make complete use of the iMac Pro doing workloads that a regular iMac just cannot do because of it's hardware limitations.

12. mikehalloran, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

mikehalloran macrumors 65816

Heavy Photoshop and FCPx users will disagree big time.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 ---
    Yep.

Looking at my next machine. Hoping the budget will stretch to make it an iMac Pro.

I don't need it for my day gig but, for other revenue producing activities... 10 core hits the sweet spot but 14–18 cores for Kontakt and VE Pro would be nice indeed.

One thing nice about living where I live, I have had access to many that I have run test projects on.

Gimme!

13. mpe macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind a refreshed design (smaller bezels), face ID unlocking, perhaps smaller size, redesigned adjustable foot, etc.

However, performance wise I love my iMac Pro (a base model). Would buy it again even today.