imac pro vega 64x benchmarks?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vir2l2k, Apr 2, 2019.

  1. vir2l2k macrumors newbie

    vir2l2k

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2019
    #1
    have not seen the vega 64x benchmark. anyone know when the new imac pro gpus roll out?
     
  2. quagmire macrumors 603

    quagmire

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #2
    When I configured an iMac pro with the 64X, it wouldn’t be here until towards the end of April. So don’t think anyone has one yet.
     
  3. nikster0029 macrumors 6502a

    nikster0029

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
  4. Voyageur macrumors newbie

    Voyageur

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2019
    Location:
    Moscow, Russia
  5. sommarvila macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2016
    #5
    Ordered one and estimated time of delivery is 9th - 15th of May so it seems like it might take a while for them to come through.
     
  6. Voyageur macrumors newbie

    Voyageur

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2019
    Location:
    Moscow, Russia
    #6
    please keep us informed how you will be doing :)
     
  7. sommarvila macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2016
    #7
    Will do!
     
  8. nikster0029 macrumors 6502a

    nikster0029

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    #8
    If there is a similar percentage difference between the 580 and 580X, then this should be great!
     
  9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

    AlexMaximus

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Location:
    A400M Base
    #9
    I am flirting with one as well... count me in
     
  10. wayllander macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    #10
    Mine should arrive between May 3 through May 10th.

    • 3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    • 2TB SSD storage
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64X with 16GB of HBM2 memory
     
  11. macduke macrumors G4

    macduke

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Central U.S.
    #11
    I wanted a Vega 64X! So I recently upgraded to a 5K iMac at home with Vega 48, but I got a new boss recently and she thinks I would be more productive on the iMac Pro vs. my work MBP. I agree and get to keep the MBP. She put in the order for the iMac Pro. I wanted the 10-core and Vega 64X but no go, lol. Apparently just getting my work to approve the iMac Pro will be hard enough, much less all the upgrades. Not gonna complain…but I'm jealous of you guys, lol.
     
  12. justinl01 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Location:
    London
    #12
    Just placed an order for the below, couldn't decide with the disk space and the processor, I have a nas and fast SSD external storage so decided for the 1tb and the 10 core seems to be the sweet spot, seeing I went for the Vega 64 thought I'd spend the extra, no idea is it will be worth it :)
    • 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
    • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    • 1TB SSD storage
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64X with 16GB of HBM2 memory
     
  13. messiry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2013
    #13
    I've just ordered the same, also was hesitant but because MacPro is expected at WWDC 6th June, however when I looked up intel Xeon W CPUs I only saw the new 28 Core which came last December, and that would be really over my requirements. also I guess from apple history, they will ship it during fall 19' which can be November or December and I can't wait that long.
    I can't get any benchamerks from internet for the 64X,, seems no one is interested in reviewing that card!! and everyone is waiting for WWDC and the MacPro,, its almost may I am thinking to return and wait another month with my 2016 MBP and see may be we can get the new MacPro with much higher performance...
    cheers
     
  14. SRLMJ23, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

    SRLMJ23 Contributor

    SRLMJ23

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    In between Syracuse, NY and Albany, NY
    #14
  15. justinl01 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Location:
    London
    #15
    I'm not too worried about the MacPro, I have a workstation PC for gaming or other tasks I need and will upgrade this next year (all through work). I currently have a new Mac Mini paired up with a 4k lg monitor, I much prefer the Mac OS now over windows for all my day to day computing/work needs. It's a great combo but as I run VM's, database crunching and photo/video editing I thought it's time to upgrade to the Imac Pro. I don't need a modular Mac as I have my workstation for that and the MacPro is currently an unknown quantity. As already pointed out there are no new Xeon's available unless you require really large core count, I can't see Apple using Nvidia cards and AMD Navi is still an unknown quantity. Also waiting for an announcement in June that may or may not come doesn't mean the Pro will be available soon after.
    It seems you can now order the Imac Pro with Vega 64x with an availability within 8 days so looks like the card has now been released for manufacturing, I reckon a few reviewers should be getting them by next week.
     
  16. messiry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2013
    #16
    Agree with you, but I think Apple will go after the Radeon Vega VII at least for now, the Navi won't use HBM2 memory from what I see, and will opt to GDDR5/6 also it should be released July/August. with MacPro modularity (as confirmed) apple may ship first MacPro with Xeon 18-core, 28Core and options of Radeon vega64 and Vega VII, Apple can always release upgrades for the components later on.

    I like the AIO design on iMac and won't need more than what iMac can offer today and at least 3/4 years, I edit videos and lately started more HEVC 8-bit edits, which runs fine (even better than new iMac i9).

    I will report back with my findings and benchmarks once I get my hand on it
     
  17. ronnyw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2016
    #17
    Got the shipping confirmation for my Vega 64X equipped iMac Pro! (8 Core/32GB/1TB)
    I expect it to be about as fast as a regular RX Vega 64 and hope it won't heat that iMac Pro too much - we'll see!

    I was also thinking about the next Mac Pro with a nice 6K Display next to it. But then again I speculated about a realistic apple pricing for the MP and the display (will surely be too much for my needs), maybe shipping in late 2019... and I didn't hesitate to go with the iMac Pro anymore ;-)
     
  18. SRLMJ23, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

    SRLMJ23 Contributor

    SRLMJ23

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    In between Syracuse, NY and Albany, NY
    #18
    What did you come up with for your realistic Apple pricing for the new Mac Pro, haha? The 18-core Xeon W used in the iMac Pro cost $2,400 to upgrade too! I think the Mac Pro base configuration could start around $10,999.00, and then go WAY up for there, like maybe $20,000+.

    Edit: You also have to add whatever Apple is going to charge for their new display, or whatever display you choose to buy.

    :apple:
     
  19. messiry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2013
    #19
    I think so too, if you do a simple calculation, a 18-Core iMac Pro with 64X card and 32GB RAM cost 8000$, but that with a 5K display, so remove 1500$ for the display, so I guess the entry part of MacPro should be around 6999$ with single CPU adding the new 6K display at 2500$ then we end up 9500$ for an entry Mac Pro with 6K display!! that is crazy price!! I wonder if apple will continue to sell the LG 5K display
     
  20. SRLMJ23 Contributor

    SRLMJ23

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    In between Syracuse, NY and Albany, NY
    #20
    Yeah, it is nuts!

    I am sure they will continue to sell the LG 5K display, but they will probably take it off the Apple Store to promote their new display. So the only way you would be able to get the LG display is through LG, and obviously other sellers like Best Buy etc...

    Obviously just my opinion on how Apple will do it.

    :apple:
     
  21. ronnyw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2016
    #21
    Finally delivered :)
    Had only a few minutes with it before leaving. Wondered about the system information: my Vega 64X is just called "Vega 64" without the X. Maybe this will be different with a next macOS update since the GPU is pretty new? Can anybody else confirm?
    (Device ID is 0x6860 - does anybody know the device ID of the Vega 64 without X?)
     
  22. vir2l2k thread starter macrumors newbie

    vir2l2k

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2019
    #22
    benchmark it and u know maybe they sold u a 64 instead of a 64x
     
  23. ronnyw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2016
    #23
    Yep, that's what they did... my vendor must have ordered a Vega 64-without-the-X :-| Even the label on the packaging says simple Vega 64.
     
  24. messiry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2013
    #24
    opsss,, that is really bad!! you need to replace it then. I just go mine didn't open it yet, doing it in the next couple hours,, will report back. on another note, the BETA of macOS 10.14.5 now show Radeon Vega VII, which means 2 things, external GPU support with Radeon VII and/or the MacPro will come with Vega II and it will be released before MacOS 10.15 ,, now I am more certain Apple will release the MacPro with the same Xeon-W chip (may be multi-CPU) and Radeon Vega II with option to upgrade to Navi next year and Xeon Ice Lake (based on sunny cove) also later, may be next year too.

    just my 2 Cents. exciting times for pro users.
     
  25. sommarvila macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2016
    #25
    Mine arrived but away for Easter so no unpacking until Wednesday.

    Interesting find, but given the pricing strategy that Apple has had lately I expect the new Mac Pro to be a lot more than the iMac Pro...
     

Share This Page

44 April 2, 2019