iMac Pro iMac Pro Win10 vs Mac OS X High Sierra

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spikerules, Jan 13, 2018.

1. spikerules, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

spikerules macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I've created some benchmarks on my iMac Pro for both Mac OSX and Windows 10 for comparison purposes. Some of the results are surprising and some are not (hint - gaming is better on Windows 10). Sorry for the resolution differences!

Firstly my specs!

[​IMG]

Here are some of my results!

Cinebench Windows 10

[​IMG]

Cinebench for Mac OSX

[​IMG]

Geekbench OpenCL Windows 10

[​IMG]

Geekbench OpenCL Mac OSX

[​IMG]

Geekbench CPU Windows 10

[​IMG]

Geekbench CPU Mac OSX

[​IMG]

Heaven Windows 10

[​IMG]

Heaven Mac OSX

[​IMG]

It seems that Windows 10 is beating Mac OSX in all tests, apart from the CPU test within Geekbench. For GPU intensive tasks like playing games it looks as though Win10 is the place to be as always, but what is surprising is that the CPU intensive tasks are doing so well in Windows 10. I'm not a OSX hater or a pro Windows 10 zealot, but I thought OSX was supposed to well optimised and a better all-round performer?

I'm not new to the Mac ecosystem, but I have been away for a while and only just returned so this is quite a surprise - well to me at least. What are your thoughts?

2. jerwin macrumors 68020

3. spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

Seems to be par for the course with these GPU's!

4. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

I'd imagine that the GPU tests are affected by direct x / OpenGL implementations on the respective platforms.

Apple's OpenGL implementation historically being weaker for various reasons, and them deciding to focus on their own APIs (Metal/Metal 2) instead.

The CPU test is interesting to me though, since it shouldn't really be affected as much between platforms. I'm wondering why it is so much lower in Windows. Did you do the test directly after testing something else? There could be some kind of sustained CPU use thing affecting the numbers (but if not then ignore this).

5. spikerules, Jan 13, 2018

spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

I think it was the first test. I did it again after a restart and got better single but around the same multi results. Seeing as Cinebench is better on both I’m wondering if it’s a Geekbench issue?

I guess we’ll have to wait for other results. I might test again without any peripherals attached.

6. Creedog macrumors newbie

@spikerules - are you using the default Apple bootcamp video drivers for win 10, or the custom ones from bootcampdrivers.com?

7. spikerules, Jan 13, 2018

spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

I’m using the default drivers. I didn’t think the custom ones were available yet?

Edit - just seen the driver update. Will download tomorrow or Monday and update the graphics results in windows.

8. Creedog macrumors newbie

Someone else on these boards had good luck across the board with the custom drivers, except for overwatch( or some other game), where performance actually went down.

9. spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

Not tried overwatch yet, but I have downloaded it. Diablo 3 plays at 5k buttery smooth for me. Much better than my Razer Blade 2017 does at 1080p!

Don’t forget these are not gaming machines and weren’t really intended to be used as such, no matter what the marketing lingo might state.

10. Hanson Eigilson macrumors regular

Did you take precautions against thermal problems when running the benchmarks ?
    Not sure if the iMacPro package size is ideally suited to dissipate the heat generated by the actual components.

11. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

I think a huge problem with the iMac Pro is that most software doesn't utilize its 8/10/18-core processing powers even close to optimal. I've seen Premiere Pro load up the CPU only to 50% while rendering 8k footage, for example. So I don't think it has to do with windows being better (which it could be), but more with the fact that there is very little software making use of all the cores available.

12. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

You could try Corona and LuxMark, as both of those are available on both platforms. With LuxMark, you can bench the CPU and GPU seperately.

13. thefriendshipmachine macrumors regular

good lord the CPU in that thing is nearly twice as fast as the 2017 iMac with the maxed out i7

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

At nearly twice the price for the base model I'm not sure that's all that surprising.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting numbers, the video benchmarks are not totally surprising, I think Windows has an edge with regard to the drivers being produced and also DirectX but the CPU number is a bit surprising. Why is it faster in OS X then Windows. I'd expect them to be closer to each other

16. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

The geekbench scores are actually in line with what I would expect for the W-2150B / W-2155.

(Pedantic, I know) It's more accurate to probably ask why Windows is slower than the result should be than why OS X is "faster". Maybe it's something to do with the Meltdown / Spectre mitigations. Window's fixes might just have more of a performance penalty?

17. spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

It may well be a driver bug or something hogging resources within windows. I could try doing the test again with things like TB3 NAS drives, extra screens etc disconnected and closing down as many resources in the taskbar as I can. This may well show if there is something bugging out the multi cpu workload?

As I stated above I did do the test again after a restart with the single CPU test scoring over 5k and more in line with Mac OSX, but the multi score was still below 30k.

However this doesn’t explain why the Cinebench CPU score was higher in Win10? Surely both would have been lower?

May well be the case. I think we won’t know for sure either way unless we can get someone else with a 10 core iMac Pro system to do the test again in Windows 10. It may be a specific issue with a driver or resource in my system.

18. thetruth9000 macrumors newbie

thetruth9000

well I just moved back to windows and I am glad i am not missing much on mac os. iOS is still my favorite though

19. spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

Moved back as in using Mac hardware for windows or moved away from Mac entirely? Surely buying Mac means buying into Mac OS. Why buy Mac hardware for windows? Cheaper ways of running Windows:)

20. spikerules thread starter macrumors regular

Updated Geekbench score with as many tasks shut down as possible and with all external devices disconnected.

upload_2018-1-15_8-42-47.png

Single thread has improved to the point of surpassing the OSX, but Multi is still lagging behind!

21. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

That 11.8 usually happen during scenes change. Looks like not really GPU performance limiting, but more like software optimisation issue.

22. thetruth9000 macrumors newbie

thetruth9000

ya hardware change too.

23. thefriendshipmachine macrumors regular

my condolences.

24. thetruth9000 macrumors newbie

thetruth9000

LOL I literally regretted it in just 3 days. Not nearly as stable as Mac OS, half done OS, everything is a mess, downloading, installing and organizing apps is a mess, hard to sync my apple things, nothing compared to apples touchpad, multitouch gestures don't compare. Only major things I will miss is the better splitscreening and windows version cmd-tab actually making sense I will never leave mac again until iOS is capable of doing so.

25. thefriendshipmachine macrumors regular

Sounds about right. I've owned all the surface pros and Windows is awful. I hate how it boots itself from sleep, installs updates and just stays on.... like gee thanks I really wanted you to close all my apps, install updates and keep the screen on at 5am that's so useful.... the fact that it comes with built in ads and promo apps is also frustrating, and the search feature in the start menu has somehow gotten *WORSE* than the one in windows 7, it can never find my files.