iMac Pro with dual 5k displays?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alwaysbeincontact, May 23, 2018.

1. alwaysbeincontact macrumors regular

alwaysbeincontact

HI,

Is anyone using a iMac Pro connected to dual LG 5k displays? I know it supports this feature. I have been using a 2016 MacBook Pro running dual LG 5k displays. I have had more problems than I had hoped and way too many hours with Apple support trying to fix the issues.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If anything Apple can run them it’s the iMac pro, I wouldn’t expect any laptop to run dual 5k displays without issue myself that’s worse than running VR.

3. alwaysbeincontact thread starter macrumors regular

alwaysbeincontact

It runs fine, but the lack of Ram on the MacBook hurts it. The MacBook really needs 32 gig in my opinion.

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I think system RAM wouldn't impact display performance too much. Maybe VRAM but that's mostly for 3D textures and such.

5. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I'm currently running that set up, have had it up and running for 2-3 months. Initially there were two issues, one kind of annoying (that has since been resolved), one trivial. The kind of annoying one was if I didn't use the computer within the past 24 hours or so, when I woke up the displays (the iMac wasn't set to sleep, but the displays were set to turn off after so many minutes in Energy Saver) one or two of the LG panels wouldn't wake up and I'd have to reboot to get them to come back. This issue was fixed though I believe in 10.13.4 as I haven't had it happen once since that update. The trivial one is one of the displays doesn't let me adjust the brightness of it. I'm guessing this is also on the MacOS side also. The brightness it is at though is indistinguishable from what I have my other two set at so it's not an issue. I just noticed it when I went to set it.

I have these all wall mounted next to each other, with cables all managed to be hidden and run down inside the wall. Have to say, best setup I've ever had, and the iMac Pro is a beast with my multimedia workflows.

Edit: Thought it could be useful to include my iMac Pro config: 10-core; 64GB RAM; Vega 64 GPU; 1TB SSD

6. Somian macrumors regular

Somian

I'm running the 2016 mbp with two 5k displays right now. I have the 4GB of video RAM and it runs well. According to iStat menus, video RAM usage is at 50%.

I'm looking into getting an iMac, because the constant noise of the macbook pro is a little annoying. The "normal" iMac can only run one of the 5k displays, however, and while i'm at it, i'd like to extend the setup to three displays.

I've had a mac pro 5,1 with three 4k displays before, but that was run by a GeForce 980ti.

Did anyone run the iMac pro in this setup? How does it "behave"?

7. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

My 2017 iMac is connected to a single LG 5 K. Works great and would absolutely attach a second one if the Mac could drive it.

8. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Sounds like you need a Mac Pro mate ;) as far as i've read imac pro behave just fine for what you need also ;)

9. Somian, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018

Somian macrumors regular

Somian

Ok, I did it. Got my iMac pro with a Vega 64 today :D Just the fact that it's possible to open Exposé buttery smooth with a ton of apps open is great. My 15" MacBook Pro always struggled with that with the two displays connected. According to iStat menus, when just doing some desktop things, it uses about 2 GB of video RAM, so there's a lot of room.

A little thing that bugs me about the solution is that, even though the iMac (and in theory the LG displays) have ambient light sensors, I have to use the keyboard to manually adjust each of the monitors after clicking on the desktop.

Is there a solution to just have all three monitors (built-in and the two LG monitors) to sync their brightness?

Attached Files: