iMac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tankmaze, Sep 19, 2012.

1. damir00 macrumors 6502a

The problem with his premise is that the Retina display for the MBP appears to have added little to no extra cost. The other problem is the iMac enclosure - getting "Pro" performance in there means burning a lot more power - and that design simply can't handle it.

2. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

Jesus the 2012 imacs haven't even come out people are already thinking about the 2013 iMac. All I care about right now it's the 2012 iMac release date which it has been killing us. FAK!

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I definitely think that we could see a Retina iMac that's a distinct product from the 21.5" and 27" non-retina models, much like they did with the Retina MBP.

I don't see it really being a replacement for the Mac Pro yet.

4. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Or ever. Two different machines with two different demographics. More likely both will be dropped and replaced by something else than replace each other.

5. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

The reason for this is that many of us are beginning to suspect there won't BE a 2012 iMac, but only a 2013 iMac... and possibly not even that. The product might be EOLed and replaced with some other desktop machine, as is a plausible interpretation of the Tim Cook/David Pogue e-mail non-confirmation from back in June.

6. Tankmaze thread starter macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

True, but by 1-2 years from now the gpu from nvidia or amd can power the display (and at the same time lower the tdp = reduce heat). even intel is going to release drivers update on october for the HD 4000 to support 4K resolution.

Haha, you made me spit my chai tea.

That is the thing, we can't really know what is on apple's mind. we can guess where the laptop is going to be, where everything is soldered and with non user serviceable parts.

but the article points out that tim cook can streamline their supplier by using supply chains for laptop parts, hence dropping the mac pro. but he forgot to mention that the imac still uses desktop CPU. but overall he got interesting point of view.

7. Joe The Dragon macrumors 6502

what about plan B

where they open mac os x up to some non apple hardware?

Or have a headless Imac?

There is pro use where a build in screen does not help much and the TB bus is only pci-e X4 So that kills useing video cards. and some of the higher end video in cards are pci-e X4 cards.

8. Tankmaze thread starter macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

yeah, that won't happen in the near future or maybe ever. apple is to proud to have been doing things their own way.

headless imac, some might say it is the mac mini.