iMac problem! VERY SCARED PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hamoodi, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

Ok I shutdown my iMac (newest one, with thunderbolt, and Lion), at about 130AM like an hour and a half ago. And it was taking a while to start. When it finally started it said I had no hardware installed for airport and all of my files were gone. THen I restarted and everything is seemingly back to normal. But I am wondering WTF triggered that and etc. I am so freaking out. Please help please.

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

lol just sounds like it booted badly. I've got these once or twice over the years. Its nothing to worry about unless it comes up a lot.

3. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I appreciate the reply at such a late hour. I am still a bit scared though..lol

4. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

It's probably going to blow up and kill you, to be perfectly honest.

5. Distinction05 macrumors newbie

Dont Stress

Hey Mate, Dont stress to much. If it happens again just do the following

1) Unplug everything from your iMac (including power)
    2) let it sit unplugged for 45 seconds or more
    3) Hold power button for around 30 seconds (still unplugged)
    4) Plug the power back in
    5) Once you press the power button, immediately on the keyboard press & hold command, option, p & r until the computer posts (Chimes) twice, then let go.
    5) let the computer boot as normal.

This should help known as a SMC & PRAM reset.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldnt be scared unless it happened again. Just make sure you have a backup of your files incase something really is wrong, but you shouldn't have any more problems.

7. jkmags macrumors member

I agree with mrkramer above, please make sure to run some sort of backup. Time Machine works well and lastly since you have a newer iMac did you check your machine specs to see if your HD was part of the possible seagate recall? Here is the link,. http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

John

8. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have time machine running lol. I just got this iMac like a month or two ago so I this is the first time i have ever used TM.

9. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Thank god no I have the 21.5inch Base model with thunderbolt, thanks for the reply though.

10. chris1184 macrumors regular

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Back ups are good. Back ups are your friend. You can laugh in the face of weird error messages if you have a back up. OK - don't laugh too loud and tempt fate.... but you know what I mean.... :)

12. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

OMFG it happened again today. I do hourly backups but still wtf is this.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's odd behavior. Call Apple, you're under warranty, see what they say.

Be glad you're backing up now. That's a good habit to have!

14. mac-ho macrumors member

That's just plain Silly!!

15. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I called them today and spoke with a Senior Advisor. After a bit we fixed the problem. Turns out since I was turning on my keyboard and magic trackpad BEFORE turning on the iMac, it booted it into safe mode somehow...maybe a glitch or something. Ikr what a weird glitch! But everything seems to be ok now! Thanks for the replies guys!

16. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

If it is an option, why not just sleep your iMac instead of shutting it off? I almost never shut off my iMac and the sleep mode uses almost zero power. Just a thought.

17. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

You are so right there is enough none helpful info given out here, or where making fun of the poster seems a way to get a big laugh..........the OP was only wanting help not a threat of any kind.

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

First - really happy that Apple sorted out the issue. I know how it feels having a wonky system.

Second - I second Dadioh's advice about sleeping the Mac. If you look in the Preferences, you will see a way to turn on "Hot Corners". Basically, if you slide the cursor right into a corner of the screen you can trigger certain events. One is to put the display to sleep. It's a very easy thing to do, just move the mouse way over to a corner as you are walking away and the display sleeps. Set the power saver settings to put the whole system to sleep after a period of time and you are good to go.

19. BigYellow macrumors member

Or press Ctrl - Eject, which brings up the Sleep/Shut Down/Restart box. Then Cmd-S to sleep.

20. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Wtf.

ANOTHER ******* PROBLEM! My iMac randomly shut off TWICE today. So luckily I have a warranty, and will exchange it at Best Buy tomorrow. God this sucks. But does anybody know if the iMacs currently at Best Buy had lion preinstalled? Because I downloaded it from the App Store and that took a long time so I would not want to do that again.

21. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I would take it to an Apple store.........would not do any thing with Best Buy..they don't have the knowledge to be called a business in my view. Just a bunch of kids there. MY view..........

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

I agree....iIf you can, take it to an Apple Store. There may be a "fix" instead of an exchange. They can run diagnostics there, and will have more experience with Macs.

Saves you from re-installing everything if it can be fixed.... and if it is exchanged, then you'll get Lion for sure. But make sure you ask them about it.

That's a pain. Oh well. Warranties are you friend.... (smile).

23. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Well I would feel safer with a new mac. But I have an external HD and put all the important stuff on it. Thats what I did transferring my data from my Macbook to this iMac.

24. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would be "scared" if they had a proper backup and their computer was under warranty. Inconvenienced? Yes... but scared seems a bit over the top. I usually reserve that word for life and death situations. A computer doesn't quite seem to fit that scenario.

25. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Because I am 14 years old and I have no money to buy another iMac. And btw see my other post because it explains how ******* stupid Best Buy is and does not honor their warranties. Thanks for the reply.