iMac problem with screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sprehodec, Apr 1, 2011.

1. sprehodec macrumors member

sprehodec

Hi,

I have 24" iMac (3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM) and since yesterday I have problems with screen. When I turn on computer and system starts to boot instead of normal grey screen with Apple logo I get grey screen with dozens of pink lines and parts of Apple logo are all over the screen, system never boots, stays that way no matter how long I wait, tried booting from install dvd but nothing happens. I contacted a local mac service and they say it logic board and it's less expensive to buy a new one than to replace that? Anyone had similar problems, suggestions what to do?

thanks

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Yeah sounds like logic board. Apple proprietary logic boards are expensive, might be better off buying new refurbished iMac.

3. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Almost certainly a logic board, although there is a considerable chance it is just a cable leading from the MLB to the display, or even somewhere else. When I worked at Apple, we had a few of what could be the same computer (I can't be sure) that had a very similar problem with the computer not booting, and it actually turned out to be the optical drive cable. Cheap fix, but those iMacs are a pain to take apart without the right tools and a VERY lint-free room.

Spike