iMac Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikey-, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mikey- macrumors regular

I have just tried to do a fresh install on my iMac but it came up that the second install disk was scracted, now when I switch me mac on it still comes up in the install screen so now I can't get on my Mac. I've done a hardware test and followed all the instructuions in my "Everything Mac" book but nothing works.

I plan to phone Apple to see if they can help but just thought I should post on here first to see if there is any way to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It is possible to use your Mac, but you'll need to do another fresh install to make it usable again. Since your Disc 2 is not functional you'll need to install without any of the options that require Disc 2 - this can be changed in the Customize screen just prior to clicking Install - you have to click the Customize... button for this screen to show up, instead of doing a default install.

Once you have things up and running again, you can install the software on Disc 2 separately, once you get a working Disc 2 for your Mac. This can be done from the "Install Bundled Software Only" option on Install Disc 1.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you format the drive? If so you are going to need to either call apple and get a replacement CD or find one on eBay. Or you could buy a retail copy of leopard and install it, but you will be missing some programs.

4. Mikey- thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried it and when I put Disk 1 in it just ejects it.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's odd. I recommend this:

Shut the Mac off, then restart it while holding down the Option key on the keyboard - this will bring up a boot disk selector. Insert the disc. Once the drive recognizes it, it will show up in the list of bootable devices. Select it as the device to boot from, then proceed with the install as normal.