iMac problems after bad ejection of camera

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mctrees02, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mctrees02 macrumors member

I unplugged my camera from the USB port w/o ejecting it first...and ever since doing so my mouse will start clicking on its own, dimming out my active programs and try to switch between programs (if multiples open) or between a program and the desktop (if only 1 program open). Also, I'm hearing a static sound coming out of my speakers.

Is this just coincidence or did a "bad ejection" of my camera cause some sort of problem. Any quick fixes???

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Have to tried restarting, reparing permissions, or just unplugging then replugging your mouse?

TEG

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I wouldn't expect an unexpected device removal to cause those kinds of problems. Like the other guy said, try a restart, etc. Hopefully it was just coincidence!

4. mctrees02 thread starter macrumors member

I tried a restart but that didn't help. I unplugged the mouse and shut it down for a few so we'll see what that does. What is a repair of permissions? Sorry I'm still new to iMac. I do know all 93 possible fixes for Windows though! :p

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Did you try to reset the PRAM?

You may want to try try reset -all at the prompt when in single user mode. BE CAREFUL.

You didn't mention if you have a PPC or Intel processor...

I think there are some Intel specific things to reset but you are talking to a PPC guy.

6. mctrees02 thread starter macrumors member

I have a 20" Intel 2.4 iMac

7. mctrees02 thread starter macrumors member

Ok the 2nd restart seems to have fixed whatever issues I was having. One other thing I noticed (and was probably causing the speaker static) was that I had muted my computer and forgot about it. However, that doesn't explain the mouse issue. If it continues I'll return to this thread. Thanks again!