iMac problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by banra, Aug 13, 2011.

1. banra macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

With Apple having overtaken Exxon as the most valuable company in the world (or is it back to #2, not sure), it is time I pointed out two problems that I have been having with my iMAC. Any help shall be greatly appreciated.

I have a year old iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, running Mac OS X 10.6.4 (kernel version Darwin 10.4.0). It is almost a year old, and currently I have two problems :

(1) The iMac AirPort suddenly died on me a couple of months after I purchased the desktop. It had been working fine till then, when for no apparent reason it said goodbye and just stopped working. My modem's WiFi port is not at fault because I am able to connect my Windows laptop to it without fail. In the "Network" option of the iMac "System Preferences", the message reads "AirPort has the self assigned IP address 169.254.138.212 and will not be able to connect to the Internet".

(2) So I connected the iMac to the modem using an Ethernet cable, and this worked fine until recently. Now, I see that the Internet connection is intermittent and keeps going off and coming back on every couple of minutes or so. As you can imagine, this isn't the most comfortable way of working, and entirely unexpected of a Mac.:(

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

This may not be your Macs fault. This can also be your Internet stability.

By the way, have you tried running Software Update? Your running 10.6.4??? Current Snow Leopard OS is 10.6.8 and by now, there has been may fixes and patches you should get. Go to the Apple Logo on the menu bar, and press "Software Update".

As for your Internet, I assume you have a router (WiFi), or is it a 2 in 1 (Modem & Router in One Device)?

Does this problem happen on any other computer you have or WiFi capable device?