Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssmangrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Probably not in the right section, but maybe?

I have a 27" iMac, purchased in early 2010, that has completely crapped out on me.

Nothing would launch from the dock without freezing, so I took the liberty of doing a complete restore from DVD. My intentions were to back up prior to reinstall (the old archive-install option), so I popped in the DVD and restarted. When I went to do it, I noticed the options were different, so I weighed out retaining the crap that has built up on my comp vs. starting fresh. I decided to start fresh and install Snow Leopard (DVD that came with comp).

The install got about halfway through and then informed me that my HD was not writable. Now, when I start the comp, I get the gray apple screen and a bar beneath the apple logo. The bar fills up about 1/2 cm and then the computer turns off.

I've tried miscellaneous startup commands on the keyboard but, with a wireless keyboard, I'm wondering if the Sync is no longer paired and it can't read my commands. Batteries are new.

Any ideas on what is going on with my computer? I'm under Applecare until next March, but the nearest store is 2 hours' drive and would hate to put up with the turnaround time if this is something I can fix on my own at home. Please help! I need this thing up and running SOON for work. :(:(

ssmangrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
bump....

ran a hardware test before it fully crapped out and it gave me a HD error code... I'm assuming the problem has been isolated but, short of replacing the HD, I'm not sure what my options are! bump bump

ssmangrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks, fellas! I'll get right on it. Down to the hardware store for an extra large suction cup...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.