iMac Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by me43, Sep 30, 2012.

1. me43 macrumors member

Recently I have been having problems with my iMac like mail and safari crashing when you click on something for example printing and causing you to have to restart the computer by holding the button in. The interesting thing is this is only happening when logged in to 1 of our 2 profiles. I have also noticed that I get the waiting beach ball thing more often on both logins.

I am pretty sure that a restore will fix these problems but I want to know if there is anything else that I can try. Also if I have to end up restoring how long will it take? I have about 450gb of data on the computer and i am backing it up using a seagate hard drive which is only connected to the mac through a usb 2.0 port and a 2011 21 inch base model iMac.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try starting once in Safe Mode. That will delete some cache files and may help.

Is there anything in the bad account under System Preferences / User & Groups / Login items that could be causing the problem?

3. me43 thread starter macrumors member

The only startup program is itunes helper. That wouldnt be causing the problem would it?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would not think so, but if that is in one account and not the other it would be worth a try removing it. All it does is auto launch iTunes when you plug in an iOS device.

Also, you might look in console log to see if you notice an entry when this happens that points to anything.