Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I hear people are having problems such as, tinting/high pitched noises/bleeding.

Should I be concerned about these problems? I'm looking at picking up either a MBPr or an iMac, I really don't wanna be dealing with constant returns because of problems.

I'm gonna be watching movies, etc with dark scenes on the iMac or with an external display with the MBPr. However I shouldn't be concerned with these problems then I'll go with an iMac, preferably less cables, more screen real estate, more powerful, etc.

I've only ever had one IPS display e2407wfp which had bleeding all over the place and you had to look at the screen in a weird way to remove the glow when watching films which was really annoying.

Thanks.

Last edited:

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I hear people are having problems such as, tinting/high pitched noises/bleeding.

Should I be concerned about these problems? I'm looking at picking up either a MBPr or an iMac, I really don't wanna be dealing with constant returns because of problems.

I'm gonna be watching movies, etc with dark scenes on the iMac or with an external display with the MBPr. However I shouldn't be concerned with these problems then I'll go with an iMac, preferably less cables, more screen real estate, more powerful, etc.

I've only ever had one IPS display e2407wfp which had bleeding all over the place and you had to look at the screen in a weird way to remove the glow when watching films which was really annoying.

Thanks.

I think both machines can have issues, but at this point I wouldn't let it hold you back on either one. I went through a number of iMacs when it first came out and I feel the quality has been better in the last month or so. I also have a rMBP and haven't had any issues yet (but I use the iMac way more during the day).

I will say that the iMac always had the IPS glow in the corners of the screens. Not really a total problem, but if you look for it its there. I feel like its just part of the size of the screen (each side could be fixed by changing my viewing angle, but the total size was too large for any of these movements to fix all 4 corners).

Just go for it. The iMac is stunning and I've really come to love the rMBP. Both are amazing machines and both may or may not have issues. But for the hassle, both are worth it.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Thanks.

Do not let it stop you. You only hear about the problems because people are looking for solutions. If someone has a perfect working iMac, you will not hear from them as everything is okay. I have a 2012 iMac and it is in perfect working order. As with anything that has working parts there is always bound to be the odd one that is not perfect. The new iMacs are a pleasure to work on. They come with a warranty and that warranty can be extended to 3 years if you have any real concerns. I put AppleCare on all my Apple products just due to the price I pay for them. Only ever had to use it once in many years of Apple purchases.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
There's a slight possibility you'll get a panel with some sort of backlight bleed, because in my experience it's hard to avoid that on most panels.

Based on what I know Apple cherry pick's their panels & the crappy ones are often found on Amazon re-branded. So I would say you'll still be getting one of the better display's out there, but again there's always a chance of backlight bleed or tinting.

But because these issus can turn up on all panels, it won't matter If you buy the monitor from Dell or any other company. It's all about luck, so might as well buy the iMac.

Anyway, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed, the display on the iMacs in my opinion are the best I've seen. It really depends If you nit pick a lot or not. I used to do that in the past, now I don't bother with it too much, unless it's severe..

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi nemesis379 Once in awhile we get hardware problems with any computer brand. But don't let this stop you with purchase plan. It's also advisable to get AppleCare. For the Retina MBPro, the screens are either made by Samsung or LG. If you can get the one made by Samsung would be nice. I think the 15" would be a better choice.

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Within the next few weeks I will be purchasing an iMac 27 from HE store, I will keep everyone posted on the iMac I receive.

It will be my first iMac, looking forward to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.