iMac processor update questions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mitchleeh, Feb 20, 2010.

  1. mitchleeh macrumors regular

    Oct 14, 2008
    I searched and could not find much on this topic. I did find plenty on MBP refreshes though! If I am repeating a topic, don't hate me - in the scheme of things, it shouldn't hurt anyone too much to ask...

    I would like to know what your thoughts are about the next processor update in the iMacs! I know MBPs are coming close to a refresh, but do you also think the iMacs will updated at the same time? (I also know they are still pretty new)...
    Is there generally a update gap between the MBPs and iMacs? :confused:

    I would love to see an update in the iMacs during the summer, as it will be my last chance to use an educational discount. I don't want to buy rev A, and I think i3/i5/i7 will soon replace C2D chips all together right? It would be sweet to get the back to school ipod deal with it too :D

    What are your thoughts?
  2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
  3. mitchleeh thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 14, 2008
    So in May, do you think it will be just a processor update? (Assuming that they fix all screen issues etc etc too :D)
    Do you think we'll possibly see better graphic cards? Bumping them from 256MB to 512MB standard? What do you (and everyone else) estimate the likelihood?

    I'm really scratching to get a 27" but want to hold off for spec bumps and education back to school promotions, plus it being a second revision really gives me more reason.
  4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a


    Jun 25, 2008
    No one can tell for sure when they will update it..only time will tell it

    just go ahead and buy it...
  5. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    I'm guessing May/June. There won't be any faster CPUs than what quad iMac uses now so I think we'll just see Core i3/5 (Clarkdale) in low-end iMac and then the same quads in high-end. New GPUs are very likely and needed though
  6. timtom10001 macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2010

    I would suggest you hold off, Apple really shot itself in the foot with the 27 inch issues (flickering, yellowing etc...) and how long it took them to admit there was a problem and hopefully fixing it for sure (from hardware up, instead of just software updates).

    By keeping us in the dark people like me were afraid to buy, and now since so much time has passed, why not wait another 3 months for a spanking new, updated iMac for the same price as this old problemed one? On top of that you get a free ipod and printer and student discount... Now that's a hat trick :))

    And we all have Apple's "let's keep a secret" policy to thank!
  7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    I think that since you are still in college you should be spending your money on women and booze instead. :D

    Why not just ask this question when you are closer to actually buying?
  8. timtom10001 macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2010
    If you put it that way... you don't need to spend money on women, just get the booze and the women will come :))
  9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Dec 28, 2009
    My thinking is they'll upgrade the iMacs a few weeks after the MBPs, so that'll give Apple 8 to 10 weeks of sales before the summer printer / iPod giveaways start.
  10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502


    Feb 25, 2006
    Expect minor updates for the next revision... they just did their "big" update with this current gen.

Share This Page